Haburn Knife Review

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smurfmacaw

Reaction score
Ok,

so I managed to get to of Ian's knives at once....a Karouchi 24emm Gyugo and a 240mm Damascus Gyuto. The Karouchi is awesome and has become my favorite knife for every day use.....It is very thin behind the edge and feels great slicing veg. Handle is the most attractive burl I've ever seen and is executed perfectly. Not a laser but very close!! I like the extra here and it performs like I would specify for any knife,

Damascus Gyuto - I've never seen better fit and finish. The grind is amazing....it's an obvious S grind and it accomplishes the mission. Almost zero stiction but to be honest, I really just like the feel of slicing thing with this knife. The down side....I like it a lot and the fit and finish is perfect.....It's harder to make myself use it for that....

I will have photos shortly....

If you have the opportunity to buy one of Ian's knives....DO IT..........if you can beat me to the punch....lol

ok, a little less adult beverage.....sigh.

I bought two Gyutos from Ian. One is the typical super high end damascus (pattern welded) knife and the other is a simpler forge finished blade. You can see the spec's on Ian's page.

First Knife
forge finished Gyuto. Very thin on the tip and cuts like a dream. VERY slightly flexible but verges on laser. Has become my favorite, go to, knife.VERY sharp, VERY thin and looks awesome. I can't complain.....at all. Love this knife.

Second knife - Super high end pattern welded blade. Super premium grind.....even my wife said the grind was different! Is the ring all that.....well, hate to say it but for me it's great but not THAT much better than the other blade. Do I use it...yes! It cuts great. I think the grind definitely reduces stiction but isn't a panacea. I DO love the heft of it.....Very blade forward weight distribution and I really like it a lot......great knife in all respects...I"m planning on sweet talking Ian into making ma something special....just don't Know what yet.

If he lived in SOCAL I'd just quit my job and become a disciple....Work for free just for the knowledge transfer.

If you quit your job lemme know if your employer is hiring, I want to have the type of disposable income you do to drop on knives :cool2:

It's a double edged sword. Work enough to be worth paying a decent salary and that starts to be so much that you can't enjoy the "disposable" income. I can't really say what is the sweet spot but I'm well on the work too much side. Wife is very successful which doesn't hurt. She tolerates my knife jones and other hobbies. I give her diamonds.....easy peasy.

cheers

Mike

Back