• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Tall 240 gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brainsausage

Reaction score
Howdy!

As the title states, I'm on the hunt for a tall gyuto. My first pick was an itonomonn, followed by a Kochi. Both are outta stock, and Jon and Maxim are both in Japan for the annual knife show, so who knows when those gems will be back in stock. So yeah, looking for something in the 240 range, 55mm or higher at the heel. No lasers, and no Takeda's please. Prefer carbon, but good stainless is also an option. Like to keep it around $300, but will go over a bit for the right item.

Cheers,

- Josh

How have I not seen this before? This Toyama looks like a killer knife!

Maxim just started carrying them pretty recently. If you have great levels of self control/lots of disposable income, I'd suggest signing up for his newsletter...

Toyama line that maxim offers is very impressive. Bought a 210 soon after he first introduced them and I was blown away by the performance and overall f&f. Very surprising they had took this long to be recognized. Workhorse beast that is capable of delicate detail and edge retention is impressive

To be up front here- I'm looking for something to hammer through hot, crusty, brisket for catering events. Typically I have to pound out about 18# worth at a time, as soon as possible. A suji is too short for when you occasionally need to power through the bottom crust. Been using my 240 Kato gyuto for the most part, and once again it's just too short at the heel to be really comfy. At this stage in the game, I'm trying to find anything that will reduce or at least not contribute to the repetitive stress trauma that is forming in my right wrist/shoulder... So yeah- height/weight/edge retention are the main attributes I'm looking for.

I know this is a want to buy thread, but from your description it sounds like you're wanting a Watanabe? Mine stock is 55 at the heel and you could likely order one even a bit taller?

I know this is a want to buy thread, but from your description it sounds like you're wanting a Watanabe? Mine stock is 55 at the heel and you could likely order one even a bit taller?

Yah, Andre just put a bug in my ear regarding Shinichi. For some reason I thought that he'd stopped doing kurouchi? Dunno where I got that idea from. I only mention Kurouchi as I'm looking for a bit on the budget side. I also was more looking to perhaps adopt a lost knife and help somebody(and myself) out. I shot Shinichi an email a few hours back and he got back to me immediately. I figured when I started this thread, that I'd get a decent amount of suggestions, so that panned out. Probably shut this down tomorrow if I don't get any desirable offers from the local peeps. Also- thanks thus far to all you gents for offers/suggestions.

I immediately thought Watanabe too, and am happy it's been the main focus in the thread. 55mm+ is uncommon so the suggestion makes sense.

How about a 10" Kramer Zwilling 52100.
One of my favorites...
But .. . you can´t have mine :D

The Toyama I bought just a few days ago is a tall 56mm at the heel. I've barely gotten to know it, having only used it for prep twice, but it's already a great favorite. Definitely recommend it.

There isn't a lot of chatter about Toyama here, but there should be.

AFrames has a Masashi Kobo, Kuro-Hammered. Blue II, seems reasonably priced. They don't publish a height, but these always struck me as tall knives

Zwilling Kramer 10"...blade height is 61 mm at heel, and actually the length is approx 245 mm.

I'm puzzled why this thread is in "Non Knife Buy/Sell/Trade" subforum though...

Zwilling Kramer 10"...blade height is 61 mm at heel, and actually the length is approx 245 mm.

I'm puzzled why this thread is in "Non Knife Buy/Sell/Trade" subforum though...

Hah, I hadn't noticed that till now, oops...

Thanks again for all the suggestions and offers guys. Decided to go with the Toyama as it has the specs I'm looking for, and the price is right. I'll report back in a couple weeks. Mods, feel free to close this thread.

Cheers,

- Josh

Hm, I don't know if Shinichi san stopped doing kurouchi, but he told me a couple weeks ago that he was no longer doing stainless clad for anything over 180mm. I'm sure you've already seen the last 240 Stainless clad gyuto in his specials section.

Hah, I hadn't noticed that till now, oops...

Thanks again for all the suggestions and offers guys. Decided to go with the Toyama as it has the specs I'm looking for, and the price is right. I'll report back in a couple weeks. Mods, feel free to close this thread.

Cheers,

- Josh

If I got everything right the Toyama is the same knife as the Zensho Maksim sold 2011/2012... had mine for about 3,5 years now and it's a really neat knife. Great edge retention, takes a "beating" and good overall geometry.

toyoma or watanabe are both solid choices for your requirement! congrats! Any follow up review on the Toyama?

toyoma or watanabe are both solid choices for your requirement! congrats! Any follow up review on the Toyama?

Thanks for the reminder!

Thus far I've been highly impressed with my Toyama. The grind is excellent, and it came super thin behind the edge with a decent edge OOTB. Has a thick emoto, for pinch gripping, with a nice distal taper. And an excellent tip for fine work, both in terms of grind and profile. It's definitely on the tall side, but I spent about two years exclusively using a chuka in a pro kitchen, so this feels very comfy to me. Lots of knuckle clearance, and plenty of height for resting on guide hand.
That being said, it's on the heavy side, but feels pretty well balanced. It's blade forward, which I prefer. Mine came with a a pretty stout, and well finished magnolia D handle, not quite as nice as the Shig handles, but wayyyyy nicer than the majority of magnolia handles I've run across. Definitely helps the overall feel.

I took it on a catering gig right after I picked it up, and ran through about 20 pounds of crusty brisket. It performed like a champ, with only a single micro chip to show for its troubles. Fit and finish is pretty decent, but I might ease the spine and choil just a touch more. They're lightly rounded OOTB, but could be a bit rounder IMO. I definitely wouldn't put this in the same league as Shigs in the F/F department, like some have said. But they're MORE than adequate for a long day of prep work, in many respects. These are one of the best deals out there right now in terms of heat treat, grind, and overall profile.

Hands down.

Back