Another Which Knife Questionnaire Thread...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StupidTexan

Reaction score
Hey. I am more of a home cook who is quite the foodie than a knife expert, but I've been slowly working on my knife skills and technique and figured that I would take the plunge and move on to higher quality gear. With that being said I've been a bit mesmerized by all of the different choices. FWIW the searching I have done thus far has yielded a close look at either the the Miyabi Artisan or Birchwood SG2 8 inch chef knives, but most of my searching has yielded the same five or six brands (Shun, Miyabi, Suisin, etc) everywhere and I really don't care about paying for a brand name or not. I havent had much luck looking on ************** or some other site and being able to figure out which one is better/better for me. I am not 100 percent set on a Chef's Knife or Gyuto and would consider a Santoku.

Thanks in advance for your help!

U.S.A./Texas

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
I have been looking at both Western Chef's knives and Gyutos, but probably prefer the lighter Gyuto.

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Lean towards a Japanese handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
8"/210 mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Prefer, but not required.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
~$250

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

At home.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
slicing, chopping and mincing vegetables, fruits and herbs.
slicing and trimming meats.

I won't be breaking down bones with it or using it to fillet a fish. From time to time I would like to use it to carve out a cooked poultry breast.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
~ $50 8" Henckels Chef's Knife

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

Pinch Grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Rocking Motion and then slicing

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

ease of use: easier to sharpen, ability to use it out of the box.
comfort: Lighter knife, improved balance
more aesthetics: Wood handle with some the grain showing decently, layered/damascus pattern of steel. The wife said this is a requirement. She always gets her way.
edge retention: Sharpen it once a month or so. I don't typically cook every night and I would say that the knife would get use about 3-4 times a week between cooking/etc.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Wood

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Not currently

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

250 will buy you a lot of knife.

One of my favorites is just over at http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...a/gesshin-ginga-240mm-stainless-wa-gyuto.html

This is another good one that will leave some coin in your pocket http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...u/gesshin-uraku-240mm-stainless-wa-gyuto.html

And from across the pond the Itinomonn is a no frills, do anything, stainless gyuto. http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/itinomonn-stainless-kasumi-240mm-wa-gyuto/

Good luck in your search.

Edit: Aw chit. Just noticed the Damascus look requirement. Any chance you could buy a picture to look at and a knife to cut with? :cool2: The Yoshi cited above would be a good fit.

Are you (OP) still looking for knife? If so I can add some suggestions, but will need to wait a couple days so I can get to a laptop.

In the meantime, if you have a Sur la Table near you, you can go try out the Miyabi Artisan and Birchwood to start with.

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...210mm-stainless-clad-blue-super-wa-gyuto.html

For stainless I will always recommend the Gesshin Ginga daveb mentioned above.
Hey Sharptools, I just saw this conversation and it involved the two knives i was looking into. I was ready to invest in the Gesshin Ginga, but Japanese knife imports is sold out!! gooh! And they are not back in the office until Jan 4th So I have no idea how long it will be out of stock..... However, the Ikazuchi also caught my eye, it is much cheaper though. Would I be losing by being impatient and buying the Ikazuchi? Should I wait for the Ginga? Any help would be much appreciated! thanks!

Hey Sharptools, I just saw this conversation and it involved the two knives i was looking into. I was ready to invest in the Gesshin Ginga, but Japanese knife imports is sold out!! gooh! And they are not back in the office until Jan 4th So I have no idea how long it will be out of stock..... However, the Ikazuchi also caught my eye, it is much cheaper though. Would I be losing by being impatient and buying the Ikazuchi? Should I wait for the Ginga? Any help would be much appreciated! thanks!

I've never handled the Ikazuchi but I do have a stainless clad carbon. It really comes down to a couple of things.

1. Anything Jon carries is always of a certain standard so you can't go wrong either way.
2. Are you REALLY willing to wait? Unless there's a shipment on the way, it'll likely take a while before you can get the Ginga.
3. Can you and are you willing to maintain carbon? (Core steel in general isn't very reactive and the cladding makes things a lot easier but you still really can't leave it in the sink etc.)

In terms of a recommendation, if you really don't mind a little extra attention to the knife, I don't think you can go wrong with the Ikazuchi. Hope that helps!

I've never handled the Ikazuchi but I do have a stainless clad carbon. It really comes down to a couple of things.

1. Anything Jon carries is always of a certain standard so you can't go wrong either way.
2. Are you REALLY willing to wait? Unless there's a shipment on the way, it'll likely take a while before you can get the Ginga.
3. Can you and are you willing to maintain carbon? (Core steel in general isn't very reactive and the cladding makes things a lot easier but you still really can't leave it in the sink etc.)

In terms of a recommendation, if you really don't mind a little extra attention to the knife, I don't think you can go wrong with the Ikazuchi. Hope that helps!

There's a modified version currently on BST: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/25539-Modified-Ikazuchi

Thanks both of you for the helpful posts. That modified looks beautiful! I am excited to contact the seller about it. I do have another question on maintenance if any of you have the time. I've only had the Stainless steel finished Shun knives, so maintenance was pretty minimal. However, I am very good about never letting it sit in a sink or even with food on it, I always wipe it down immediately. So I am ready for a knife that requires more care. What should be my first buys for maintenance? Some oil and a stone? and is it bad to run knives like this on a honing steel? Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!

Thanks both of you for the helpful posts. That modified looks beautiful! I am excited to contact the seller about it. I do have another question on maintenance if any of you have the time. I've only had the Stainless steel finished Shun knives, so maintenance was pretty minimal. However, I am very good about never letting it sit in a sink or even with food on it, I always wipe it down immediately. So I am ready for a knife that requires more care. What should be my first buys for maintenance? Some oil and a stone? and is it bad to run knives like this on a honing steel? Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!

IMHO you don't really need oil as long as you dry the knife properly and don't store it for long periods (it's made to be used anyway!)

I'm not an expert on honing, but you're probably better off with a simple starters set of stones (tons of threads on that in this forum), and can probably keep a nice edge with stropping. Although that's still a matter of personal preference. Some do it A LOT, others not at all... Some load them, some don't. Just try, it's not that expensive to get started...

Edit: Never mind, I should really check the date of the original post.

The original poster StupidTexan said Damascus was a requirement, and stainless preferred, which some people may have missed. I'd advise avoiding Shun. Requiring Damascus severely limits your choices as to quality steel, since much Damascus on the market and in your price range, is VG-10, and VG-10 can be chippy depending on the maker.

My rec is a Kikuichi Swedish Warikomi Damascus, which is aeb-l core and stainless clad, easy to sharpen, and has a nice rosewood handle. Here's one seller but Google for the best price available.

http://www.metrokitchen.com/product/kikuichi-8in-warikomi-damascus-chefs-knife

Another choice but currently out of stock

http://www.knivesandstones.com/tana...o-210mm-with-custom-octagonal-bubinga-handle/

Back