Suji Profile - Help Finalizing

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
I would like to finalize a profile for a suji, so I can make a template and stay consistent from one knife to another.

I am leaning to use this profile as my standard profile (customization upon request). I placed a suji next to a gyuto to highlight the edge curve.

This is essentially my own profile, not a copy or a derivative from another profile, so a feedback and critique is welcome and appreciated.

DSC_1812.jpg

Without handling it or using it is difficult for me to really get nitty gritty. But the profile so far looks really good. I thought for a second i might like a hair more curve near the tip but I take that back.

A lot honestly for me depends on length of the blade. Longer then a straighter/narrower profile because you are almost only using it for slicing. Shorter like my beloved 240 I like a little curve near the tip because I use it for butchery, slicing, and some other veg prep.

Without handling it or using it is difficult for me to really get nitty gritty. But the profile so far looks really good. I thought for a second i might like a hair more curve near the tip but I take that back.

A lot honestly for me depends on length of the blade. Longer then a straighter/narrower profile because you are almost only using it for slicing. Shorter like my beloved 240 I like a little curve near the tip because I use it for butchery, slicing, and some other veg prep.

This one is 280mm on the edge. Raising a tip a bit is something I am considering. Shorter sujis, I will likely to give more curve.

M

I think the profile looks pretty good. I was not thinking the tip should be raised, but instead maybe waiting until a tad closer to the tip before increasing the swoop of the spine. But I'll bet it will be great as-is.

This one is 280mm on the edge. Raising a tip a bit is something I am considering. Shorter sujis, I will likely to give more curve.

M

I like the look. I also thought that maybe it was a bit too flat for maximizing the edge length for a slicer but if it's gonna be on the longer side, maybe it doesn't matter as much.

I like your suji design.

I know there were two schools of thought, one with more belly at the tip, and the other with more of your current design. If it is a longer blade, made for slicing sashimi, soft protiens, and those types of task a flatter profile would be more suited for a pulling slice action. For me, this is what I use a suji for.

If you are looking for a brisket slicer, more harty protiens, or stronger task with an initial push and then pull action, maybe something with more belly at the tip is in order. But for me, a gyuto serves that purpose more than a suji.

I think the profile looks pretty good. I was not thinking the tip should be raised, but instead maybe waiting until a tad closer to the tip before increasing the swoop of the spine. But I'll bet it will be great as-is.

I was thinking about it too. Will try it.

M

I say leave it there. I would have to say that it looks to be great as is. Nimble with just enough curve to maximize usefulness, IMO.
Looks like a winner to me.

Back