Fini Knives From Kickstarter

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublej

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Have been lurking in the forums for quite awhile.
Recently I saw this knife set on Kickstarter. Any thoughts on it?

a4ed06466b70b89b85ebca64d2b8d548_original.jpg

Its rates HRC 58.

Would really appreciate your comments as I am thinking of getting a set to try it out.

thanks

Welcome to here. Honestly those knives are blah. Nothing good comes in sets, especially 5 for $200. Spend your money on something better.

Is that like a handle - but not?

Don't think I would hate to put it down. Don't think I would pick it up.

understood.
thanks alot guys.
will keep to my nakiri and be contented :biggrin:

tl_sopranos10.jpg

I don't get it.
Have the 'experts' suddenly decided that most knife assaults actually involve being whacked with the butt end?
Is there a global phenolic resin shortage?
Creating an aftermarket for handle extensions?
An experiment to see just how stupid some people really are?

Last edited:
Yeah, gotta admit, the motivation for this is a little confusing. Reminds me of a meeting we had at work recently. I walked into the conference room, looked at the white board, and asked...'uh, what problem are we trying to solve here?' Never did get an answer, so I took a nap.:happymug:

I don't think I've ever heard someone complain about the length of handle being a major problem in comfort

Hmmmm...the prototype doesn't appear to have the massive, 'used to be a connecting rod in a big block Chevy' bolster of the production model.
Maybe they added that to 'bolster' the claim of "world's safest chef knife". They should change that to "world's sharpest butt plug". More fitting I think.
Designed by a couple of guys who have repeatedly heard the phrase "size does matter" from their ex-girlfriends.

That pictured variation on a pinch grip is known as a "cut your forefinger" grip. In a busy working environment it will save lot of space having a really short handle on a really big blade. All we need to do is make sure a bandage dispenser is handy too. For anyone wanting to customise their existing chefs knife I am thing of providing a "chop the end of the handle off" service.

Not a parody ...

Can I start kickstarter for adamantium implanted in the body kitchen claws?

I think this is a ballsy move and applaud them for it.
I've often wondered about this type of handle. I'm primarily a pinch grip guy that chokes up on the handle/blade, thus leaving a fair amount of back handle unused. Then I found myself discussing this with a Very talented knife maker. One of us brought up that a simple ball like handle would perform perfectly when using the pinch grip as the handle itself is almost purely aesthetic when being used by pros.
And that would bring me to my next point, as this knife seems to be geared towards a pro, and leaves a large market of customers out. Yet, I think most pros would look at this profile and HT then simply chuckle and look away.
I will also say that this knife handle gives this somewhat limp looking phallic symbol image. Like a "chub" so to speak, and I'd never want any of my knives referred to a that.

I think this is a ballsy move and applaud them for it.
I've often wondered about this type of handle. I'm primarily a pinch grip guy that chokes up on the handle/blade, thus leaving a fair amount of back handle unused. Then I found myself discussing this with a Very talented knife maker. One of us brought up that a simple ball like handle would perform perfectly when using the pinch grip as the handle itself is almost purely aesthetic when being used by pros.
And that would bring me to my next point, as this knife seems to be geared towards a pro, and leaves a large market of customers out. Yet, I think most pros would look at this profile and HT then simply chuckle and look away.
I will also say that this knife handle gives this somewhat limp looking phallic symbol image. Like a "chub" so to speak, and I'd never want any of my knives referred to a that.

While true, non cutting handling of the knife will be more dangerous or difficult.

But the balance point would be all out, wouldn't it ? If so, yes the handle is redundant because you don't use it, but it's going to be harder to 'pivot' on your pinch grip if there's no weight behind your wrist.

I'm no pro, but it looks to me as though that knife would become VERY tiring to use with all the weight on the blade -- you would need to lift it against that short, light handle all day, a good way to get carpel tunnel syndrome.

And it looks to be as if that grip would often result in a missing fingertip, too.

I'm starting to use a pinch grip more, and will have to get longer knifes as a result, but I still want the blade to balance just in front of the handle so I don't need to use any pressure to keep the blade level. More or less impossible to direct the edge if you only have a grip on it between your finger and thumb, too -- while you may not squeeze on that handle, you do steer the knife with it.

As in most "traditional" designs, all the real experimentation was done decades or centuries ago, no need to try to re-invent the wheel to be "different" or get attention...... Arts-fartsy diddling around with things is great if you are rich and bored, but for those of us who use tools to perform work, efficiency in operation is all that really counts.

Peter

What the f is that.

0aMR4f.jpg

The bread knife really is a winner..

They say it's no less than "The most beautiful cutlery in the world" Hilarious. What a rip off. I can't believe people are buying theses. Hey, you're not a true "chef" if you don't have that "perfectly chef balanced" piece of equipment-crap.

"The safest knife in the world" Yes, other chef's knifes are dangerous and should be illegal.

Bonus points for that moment when he chops herbs using two fingers, with the three others up high. How natural... Awkward.

I don't need a dwarf handle to force me into using what ever "perfect" grip. It doesn't qualify for a "revolution" like they claim it will be. How pretentious (being pretentious seems like the ground rule on these "fund-me" things)

This "thing" proves that people really can/will buy anything, even if it's lame, because it's described as "cool" on some crowd funded whatever.

"Leave a comment (for backers only)" Obviously, you can only comment if you buy it, smart tactic to avoid comments from non delusional people like us.

All I see is limiting the possible grips of a knife. What is the advantage in that? About the only time a handle may get in the way is when you for some reason need to point the tip way down while having for forearm in relativ horizontal position - then the handle butt could come into contact with your wrist, but how often do you have that problem? Seems like you can sell anything via Kickstarter today. I though it was the place to try to push the good ideas ...

I mean the idea is "cute", but not new and why go for a pinch-grip handle and then keep the big badass bolster on those knifes?

[video=youtube;WFimi01wUgA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFimi01wUgA[/video]

Not that I would ever think about spending big bucks on that Guede (the only one I'm interested in is their bread sword), but at least they skipped the bolster....

I can't imagine trying to sharpen a knife without a handle to balance and control what I'm doing.

Last edited:
They should offer this as a Santoku. No front. No back. Could make each edge a spine so it wouldn't cut you. Symmetry.

Edit: Whoops. I see they beat me to it. Could they copyright the "*** Knife"?

They should offer this as a Santoku. No front. No back. Could make each edge a spine so it wouldn't cut you. Symmetry.

Edit: Whoops. I see they beat me to it. Could they copyright the "*** Knife"?

Yeah...and it's got "cullets" :laughat: which make it the easiest chef's knife you will ever use.
So buying it will be like marrying the "easiest" girl you ever met?

They actually look a bit dangerous.

Also - and I hate swearing in written form, but - I'm ******* sick of reading, "it's an extension of your hand", and other similar sentiments. Cliches are annoying. I feel 110% about this. Now excuse me, I have to go make some food and really put myself on a plate. It's going to be sureal.

Back