NYC Restaurant Recs

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First off, I am not going to NYC, but my wife is. She asked me what restaurants I would recommend, and outside of the big names (i.e., Momofuku, La Bernardin, Per Se etc.) I don't know crap about NYC dining. And it is a bit overwhelming for me to consider.

Any suggestions would be nice. No restrictions on diet, price etc. Just good food where reservations are obtainable.

Sorry for the drive by posting. I haven't been on the forum much.

Karring

Wow there's so much here its kinda hard to say. I honestly feel its a lot of meaningless noise these days, you're average trendy young chef restaurant with seasonal this and that small plates to share and cocktails nobody really wants. In general I'd suggest avoiding those places at all cost. If it looks super hip and has a clean little shopping list menu (Sunchokes - apple, seeds, lardo - $17) it probably won't be memorable and will certainly be expensive.
Sorry I can't actually help but I feel maybe some old classic places and holes in the wall will be the best and worth a visit.
good luck
Matteo

Yeah, it is a bit of a hard question to answer. I admit it. If I weren't so lazy today and mostly done with a bottle of champagne, I'd probably look into it more myself, but at the end of the day it feel like researching places to eat in Paris -- and that sucks.

Maybe someone will have a true nugget, hole-in-the wall bar, or something new worth trying. We'll see….

k.

Haven't eaten here, but did have a few delicious cocktails. I bring it up as it's on my list next time I travel up. Beauty and Essex. Hands down one of the sexiest places I've been to. Plus there's a pawn shop up front to boot. (You have to walk through it to get into the actual restaurant)

Very good pastas and a well run restaurant at Michaeal White's Osteria Morini. I was there earlier this year and loved it.

http://www.osteriamorini.com/index.php?action=mobile_landing

I've never been but I just sent my in-laws to Lafayette Grand Cafe and Bakery and they loved it. It is a good one to have in the quiver because it can cover any need from sit down meal to quick pastry and coffee and is open morning through night.
Andrew Carmellini is somebody we should be able to trust.

http://lafayetteny.com

I'll vouch for Prune too. Bruno is nice too for pizza and drinks near union square

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. Every one looks amazing to me -- and now I wish I were going too.

With that said, I was just scouring another forum and found these recs. Anything stick out as good or bad, must, or avoid…?

Amor y Amargo (cocktails)
Attaboy (cocktails)
Dead Rabbit (cocktails)
Marea
Batard
Little Park
The NoMad
ABC Kitchen
Maialano
Alta
L'Artusi
Alla'Onda
Jungsik
Estela
Charlie Bird
Sessanta

Have basically heard just good things about pretty much everything on the list.

There is so much variety in NYC I don't know how anyone can pick for someone else. I like the Queen of Sheba but maybe Ethiopian is not your thing etc. If she is doing any Broadway plays, there is Theater Row Café. A friend of mine owns it. :)

There is so much variety in NYC I don't know how anyone can pick for someone else. I like the Queen of Sheba but maybe Ethiopian is not your thing etc. If she is doing any Broadway plays, there is Theater Row Café. A friend of mine owns it. :)

I love Ethiopian food, and I took her to an amazing place in DC once and she liked it. I'll throw it out there. I think she definitely wants to hit Prune and that Beauty and Essex one evening. And Osteria Morini looks fabulous too. Now I want to go to NYC.

k.

I am bumping this, because I am heading to NYC on Thursday. If anyone has any new recommendations, I'd be interested in checking them out.

I'll actually be staying in Brooklyn, so anything on that side of the river is game too.

My wife and I are taking a short vacation, and then I am hanging around to go to the Jawbreaker show -- so Thursday through Monday I will be in the area.

k.

If you want a buttermilk fried Chicken sandwich on a blue cheese biscuit with whiskey pickles you could always come to my place. The Astorian in Queens.

I'm there everyday this week except Thursday. We open at 4 on Friday and noon on Saturday and Sunday. If you come

I can recommend bâtard, been there in the past was great!

If you want a buttermilk fried Chicken sandwich on a blue cheese biscuit with whiskey pickles you could always come to my place. The Astorian in Queens.

I'm in Astoria, and wasn't aware! Will give it a go one day.

Estela was very good, I recommend it. If shes going out with friends, definitely go to a korean bbq place in K-town. They're practically open all night and a great hangout spot for a bigger group.

Back