A Lot Of Firsts

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hattorichop

Reaction score
gkarlmc

This is the first time I've tried to post an image so please bear with me if I did not do it right.

It's also the first time i've ever tried to thin a knife.......I decided to try on my first ever japanese knife which is the knife that I first practiced sharpening on with whet stones. I did the majority of the thinning with a chosera 400 then proceeded to chosera 1000, then 5000 and finally 10 000 to try to eliminate the scratches the thinning caused. Then I went through the process again sharpening the knife.
I think I succeeded in the thinning of the entire blade with the majority of the thinning near the tip, but now I have a sharp, thinner knife with half an incosistant mirror finish and half factory finish.
I watched a Salty vid where he put a mirror finish on a Masamoto knife with some turtle wax, metal polish, 1 micron boron paste and then some type of wipe (could not find wipe's or boron paste at the hardwear store). But I did purchase some turtle wax and a metal polish and I tried it out on an old Henckel with no success.

I'm now thinking some polishing paper might be the answer.:scratchhead:
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

http://s1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff392/gkarlmc/[/IMG]
Trying to post pics again!

Sorry, I cant figure this picture thing out.
If anyone wants to help me with that please chime in!

IMG_3011.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely sandpaper or micromesh. The whole thing has to be pretty close to mirror to get there with metal polish.

Find the picture you want in photobucket, then copy the url for that image (it'll be like "http://s1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff392/gkarlmc/PICTURE.jpg"). Then paste it between image tags:
Code:
[img]paste the image url here[/img]

That should do it. Your photobucket is set to private though, so I'm not sure if you can hotlink out of it.

There ya go!

As for polishing your work, you got a LOT of scratch removal to do at lower grits before a polished finish. Polishing takes a lot of elbow grease. I'd grab some wet/dry sandpaper, a sanding block with a little bit of give, and go to town at a coarse grit until everything looked even across the face of the knife. Then (and only then!) do you move up.

There ya go!

As for polishing your work, you got a LOT of scratch removal to do at lower grits before a polished finish. Polishing takes a lot of elbow grease. I'd grab some wet/dry sandpaper, a sanding block with a little bit of give, and go to town at a coarse grit until everything looked even across the face of the knife. Then (and only then!) do you move up.

What grit of paper should I be buying?
Does it look like I'm doing alright for my fist time thinning a knife?

What grit of paper should I be buying?
Does it look like I'm doing alright for my fist time thinning a knife?

it depends how deep the scratches are... but by looking at the photos, i'd say 800 - 1000 grit? or even a bit lower... and also, it's like stone progression, you start with a low grit, then a go a bit higher to take out the scratches from the previous grit, so on and so forth (just like what Vertigo said).

Micron films are awesome for the finishing touches after all the aggressive steel removal...

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Lapping-261X-Micron-Sheet/dp/B0002FT3PQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1313947664&sr=8-2

Good luck! :knife:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back