Victorinox let me down a bit...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eamon Burke

Banned
Reaction score
:rant:

So I've always praised Forschner/Victorinox as being the best "beaters", just one step above a spatula out there. It's $40 and will suit some low standards. I can see a lot of folks here use them when they are willing to accept their knife is going to get lost/stolen.

As a self-enrichment exercise(I do these things), I left my knives at home and have been working with the house junk laying around at work. The priciest is my coworker's neglected, rarely used Victorinox 10" Chef's.

It is a giant pile of useless scrap metal.

I like my SAK, I never leave home without it. The edge needs touching up regularly, and I usually only cut packaging, mail, sometimes food with it. But the edge retention, or lack thereof, on these knives is completely unacceptable. The geometry sucks, food sticks like it's a feature, it's balanced funny and the handle seems to promote a poor grip and slippage. My work has been twice as hard and I've seen translucent onions and shredded chicken like I haven't seen in years.

I worked with some kind of "bakers and chefs" or something, you know, the cheap Brazilian steel resto-supply store knives. They were about the same, but at least their cheapness made them thinner and with a smaller tang(lighter handle), and the cut a tiny bit better because of that.

Boo. I give up on them.

The worthwhile, sub-$50 chefs knife is officially a myth. You just can't make a chef's knife that cheap, it isn't enough money.

The new shirogami tojiro may be the 50 dollar best buy out there once its released. Otherwise the DP for its price comes pretty darn close.

But in general the saying is true: you get what you pay for

C'mon now. I picked up a $10 forged Farberware santoku (with fancy scalloping on the blade face!) at the bargain bin the other day, put a 1k edge on it, and it does everything I've asked of it. I mean, I haven't tried making sashimi or anything, but all my basic kitchen tasks are covered with room to spare.

C'mon now. I picked up a $10 forged Farberware santoku (with fancy scalloping on the blade face!) at the bargain bin the other day, put a 1k edge on it, and it does everything I've asked of it. I mean, I haven't tried making sashimi or anything, but all my basic kitchen tasks are covered with room to spare.

Well I guess you can sell off everything else in your collection then.

A good thrashing on the KMG will straighten that Victorinox right up.:biggrin:

The Geo Metro did not get me to work. It overheated on the freeway, and would not start in the parking lot. It grinds gears. I am saying that I wouldn't choose to drive one to the corner store.

I do like my Tojiro, but the balance point is pretty strange, and it's a bit too flexy at times. Not to mention it required about 5 hours of ameteur finishing to get it to be comfortable to use.

The Geo Metro did not get me to work. It overheated on the freeway, and would not start in the parking lot. It grinds gears. I am saying that I wouldn't choose to drive one to the corner store.

:lol2:

Don't let one bad lemon spoil you for the fruit. There's plenty out there below $50 you can use to cut up your dinner (unless you're just crazy spoiled for the high end stuff). Thousands of chefs and butchers in this world are doing just fine, thinking their $30 Forschner Rosewood was an upgrade.

Here in the UK you would be hard pressed to find a professional butcher that doesn't use at least one Victorinox fibrox-handled knife.

I wish we used Victorinox when I was working at the butcher shop. We only had thick, hollow ground Nella knives. They were pretty terrible, but did the trick with a good agressive steel.

Once upon a time I tried to sell meat packing knives to butchers. Mostly because everyone sold Victorinox I reped the other brands, F. Dick, Russell-Harrington, Frosts of Sweden, and a couple of lesser known names. Total waste of time, the only knives the butchers wanted were Victorinox and I went under. I've used my share of Victorinox since then and I have no complaints.

so wait, you're saying that a knife you yourself said was mistreated sucks? well, isnt that true for ANY knife? especially with running it through a dishwasher. the blade gets scuffed so food sticks, it gets heated up and loses its temper (haha), and gets rattled around into other knives and goes dull. at a Country Club i worked at they had Bucci foodservice knives, but had rosewood handles and never saw a dishwasher. i liked those knives. i liked them alot. not great edge life, but it was a $12 knife.

Back