Yoshihiro knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shownomarci

Reaction score
Has anyone any experience with them?
They are making knives from pretty much every common japanese steel.
What i am really interested in is the ones made out of 'Powdered Daisu Stainless Japanese Steel'.
What is that R2 / SRS-15 / something else?

they are all oem knives that are sort of more pricey than the actual knives if you know where to find them. the ginsan one would be harder to figure out though there aren't many makers using that steel that I'm aware of for western handled knives. Probably monosteel panda.

but their markups on sukenari knives are nuts. if you want a cool r2 knife just get the JCK house brand R2, both come from the same factory I believe. The powdered daisu steel is very very similar in appearance to masahiro/kanehide bessaku series butchery knives, these are a super common pattern, looks like hiromoto honesuki and some knives that JKI does a bit of F&F work on I think one other vendor here sells them too. No idea if they're really OEM knives or just a common pattern for commercial food service knives (like the thousand and one back polymer handle chefs knives you find in North America)

the only thing I want bad from echefknife.com (yoshihiro) is their super cool knife hard case with the chukka compartment. I bet I could get a couple little stones in there.

they are all oem knives that are sort of more pricey than the actual knives if you know where to find them. the ginsan one would be harder to figure out though there aren't many makers using that steel that I'm aware of for western handled knives. Probably monosteel panda.

but their markups on sukenari knives are nuts. if you want a cool r2 knife just get the JCK house brand R2, both come from the same factory I believe. The powdered daisu steel is very very similar in appearance to masahiro/kanehide bessaku series butchery knives, these are a super common pattern, looks like hiromoto honesuki and some knives that JKI does a bit of F&F work on I think one other vendor here sells them too. No idea if they're really OEM knives or just a common pattern for commercial food service knives (like the thousand and one back polymer handle chefs knives you find in North America)

the only thing I want bad from echefknife.com (yoshihiro) is their super cool knife hard case with the chukka compartment. I bet I could get a couple little stones in there.
Which one is that case?

anyone tried one of these? ginsanko gyuto

i cant tell if its clad or if monosteel?

wouldn't mind a 'leave around and not care' knife.

Through that link, in the 'Features' it says "Grade: Single piece forged"
Based on what's listed, it looks like the western handled one is monosteel and the wa-handled ginsanko is clad, sanmai

ive never seen a mono g3 knife which is interesting in itself, plus its yo handle which i prefer to use as beaters. i dont have any stainless knives, this i might have to consider to fill that void.

Wasn't the Hiromoto Gingami monosteel?
And western handle
Edit: in fact, the 270mm Hiromoto Gingami still looks to be in stock at JCK

And the pricing on Yoshihiro's wa-ginsan 270mm and that of the Sukenari forged 270mm gyuto at JCK are pretty close. From photos, profile looks like it could differ a bit with the curve to the tip (at least to my eyes)

Almost every yo gin3 knife I've seen has been mono. But what's gross about SS mono? Gin3 is like butter in my experience. Sakai jikko makes a mono g3 yo gyuto if my memory serves, pricey though. I remember being able to find a few others on eBay some time back. Probably all gone now.

Actually I checked the jikko yo gyuto is still there. $231 note the heel overground on both yoshi and jikko...

Back