Quantcast
Help me choose a petty?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a petty?

Help me choose a petty?

OK, so my girlfriend will be stealing my misono ux10 petty and hattori hd this coming semester and I find myself in the need for a new petty (how convenient). Budget is ~$60; I have the choices narrowed down to the mc66 twin cermax (there's a sale; don't shoot me), Hiro AS and carbonext. I know the handle+balance for the cermax sucks, but would that matter much with such a small knife? I'm pretty interested in trying out zdp-189 and AS steels, but I'm not sure if AS is the right fit as I do cut mostly fruit and veggies with petties. Any opinions/suggestions are welcome .

Fuji FKM or the CN.. Can't go wrong there.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMel View Post
    Fuji FKM or the CN.. Can't go wrong there.
    2nd, both the above are great, althought I think the steel in the CN holds its edge longer. I would go with the CN.

But the FKM is such a good deal!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I have the choices narrowed down to the mc66 twin cermax (there's a sale; don't shoot me), Hiro AS and carbonext. [...] I know the handle+balance for the cermax sucks, but would that matter much with such a small knife?
    Are you thinking about the 130 something mm cermax? The blade profile is also pretty awkward with the tip almost at spine level, the handle with the metal pommel makes the knife ultra handle heavy. Well, maybe you'll like it....

A little patina wont hurt, I would go carbon with petty, I have a susin Hc and love mine

I have a variety of petties and I keep going back to a 150 Masahiro MVH (Knife Merchant version).

Quote Originally Posted by Rottman View Post
    Are you thinking about the 130 something mm cermax? The blade profile is also pretty awkward with the tip almost at spine level, the handle with the metal pommel makes the knife ultra handle heavy. Well, maybe you'll like it....
    I was thinking about the 150 mm; I wonder how much it would cost to get someone to convert this to a wa-petty .

I'll keep the FKM, Suisin, CN and Masahiro in mind; any particular reason why you like the suisin/masahiro/FKM? I can definitely attest to the CN, as I do have an ichimonji gyuto (still has a decent edge after 2 months of daily use). Can someone also direct me to some choil shots of these knives? I like em thin

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I was thinking about the 150 mm; I wonder how much it would cost to get someone to convert this to a wa-petty .
    Conversion is probably less than the new handle.

The 5" Cermax utility is, IMHO, more manageable than the 6" which is more obviously handle heavy and has a different and odd (at least to me) blade profile. Heavily discounted and I've snagged a bunch of them for this year's holiday gift.