Help me choose a petty?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James

Reaction score
OK, so my girlfriend will be stealing my misono ux10 petty and hattori hd this coming semester and I find myself in the need for a new petty (how convenient:laugh:). Budget is ~$60; I have the choices narrowed down to the mc66 twin cermax (there's a sale; don't shoot me), Hiro AS and carbonext. I know the handle+balance for the cermax sucks, but would that matter much with such a small knife? I'm pretty interested in trying out zdp-189 and AS steels, but I'm not sure if AS is the right fit as I do cut mostly fruit and veggies with petties. Any opinions/suggestions are welcome :).

But the FKM is such a good deal!

I have the choices narrowed down to the mc66 twin cermax (there's a sale; don't shoot me), Hiro AS and carbonext. [...] I know the handle+balance for the cermax sucks, but would that matter much with such a small knife?
Are you thinking about the 130 something mm cermax? The blade profile is also pretty awkward with the tip almost at spine level, the handle with the metal pommel makes the knife ultra handle heavy. Well, maybe you'll like it....

A little patina wont hurt, I would go carbon with petty, I have a susin Hc and love mine

I have a variety of petties and I keep going back to a 150 Masahiro MVH (Knife Merchant version).

Are you thinking about the 130 something mm cermax? The blade profile is also pretty awkward with the tip almost at spine level, the handle with the metal pommel makes the knife ultra handle heavy. Well, maybe you'll like it....

I was thinking about the 150 mm; I wonder how much it would cost to get someone to convert this to a wa-petty .

I'll keep the FKM, Suisin, CN and Masahiro in mind; any particular reason why you like the suisin/masahiro/FKM? I can definitely attest to the CN, as I do have an ichimonji gyuto (still has a decent edge after 2 months of daily use). Can someone also direct me to some choil shots of these knives? I like em thin :D

The 5" Cermax utility is, IMHO, more manageable than the 6" which is more obviously handle heavy and has a different and odd (at least to me) blade profile. Heavily discounted and I've snagged a bunch of them for this year's holiday gift.

Thanks for the info Pohaku; however, I decided to go with the FKM; something soft and easy to sharpen haha

Great choice!
The FKH petty (carbon, but otherwise the same) is one of my most used knives! You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Back