Quantcast
Most used knife in the home kitchen - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most used knife in the home kitchen

My most recent was a Semi HD Konosuke? Do you have one of those? maybe put a cool handle on it?
    How about a cleaver? how are you stocked on cleavers? maybe a CCK? something nimble you can use?

Good luck!

240 mm ichimonji tkc gyuto followed by a 240 hiro g3 suji; they're great knives and I don't need to wipe them down too often

I think tgraypots is on to something. A nice fun nakiri would be a great addition. I love using mine, when I get the itch.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

This is my fav home kitchen knife, about 200mm.

Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Hiromoto AS 190mm Santoku

Thanks to all for the ideas. It is interesting that most of you thought a smaller knife was called for. I was inclined that way, since I have a Masamoto yanagi for sashimi and the Ichimonji kiritsuki which I like as a general purpose "chef knife". The funayuki and the nikiri are interesting in addition to the petty. Much to ponder. I'll let y'all know what I do.

Thanks.

Keith
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

My favorites are Korin Togiharu G-1 (aka Masamoto VG-10) Guyto 21cm, Kagayaki VG-10 24cm gyuto and Global G-2 20cm gyuto. Plus the Yoshihiro Kasumi 18cm shirogami deba for fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I'd take a good hard look at a 6sun Carter funayuki, if I were you.
    Can you describe for me what a funayuki is? I've seen them on Carter's site (and nowhere else) and read about them here a lot (and occasionally on FF), but I've never seen/used one in person. To me they have the profile of a gyuto, but beyond that I don't get them? Cheers! mpp

In Carter's case, it really is a small gyuto. The size he makes his funayukis in makes them more of a petty than a gyuto, yet they do have the height you would normally see in a gyuto (according to length). You'll notice the tip portion stays taller than many gyutos, in part because they are shorter bladed knives, and also in part because of Murray's spine to tip drop.
    It seems that any "gyuto" or "funayuki" above 240mm is a gyuto to Murray, and anything shorter is a funayuki.
    If you're curious about single beveled funayukis, well, they are a whole different beast, and one I have stayed away from. I get the feeling that they are really dated, and unnecessary with the knives and conditions we have today. I'm pretty sure Suisin has them available, likely on Korin, if you're curious to check one out.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I would say its what a petty is to a suji, in the terms of a gyuto. Usually they are known for a fantastic grind.... I saw at JKI a 180mm Zakuri for about $150 in Blue #1, with an octagon handle (A similar Carter would run at least 2 bills).... wondering if anyone has experience with Zakuri?
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com