Quantcast
Most used knife in the home kitchen - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Most used knife in the home kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by jason View Post
    There is no metallurgical difference between Murray Carter's Stainless Fukugozai series and the High Grade series. It's only the level of finish and handle materials that are different. The special edition Chef Knives To Go gyutos included...
    This is all correct EXCEPT, the higher "level of finish" changes the geometry. In my opinion, it isn't better. It's not bad but it's definitely not better.

Quote Originally Posted by jason View Post
    ...did you ever have that handle taken off your 270mm...?
    Haha. NOPE. At least not yet. That would definitely be a major pain.

Maybe. I feel it's a negligible difference, but he does need to remove metal to polish the High Grades, so you are right, it would change the geometry (in a minute way). Like you said, it may not be better, or bad, just different.

ps I'm glad you kept the handle on. For now.

I have a few Carter funayukis and combined they are certainly the most used ones. The SFGZ ones are more robust and great all purpose knives IMHO, the HG is thinner and I have the most fun when using it for thinner, more precise cuts.

Stefan

Even though the CKTG Carter's I received had the Carter characteristics there was something about them that was off. (besides the poor finish)

The Carter that I got during his last sale has quickly become one of my favorites, but I will also say that when I pick up my nakiri, it almost always wins out in the fun department. I really use it a lot when I start making soups in the fall. I've also been using the sheep's foot parer Pierre made. I find myself peeling things a lot more and using it as a chopper just to see what it can do.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

150 petty, or 210 gyuto