Opinion on Wakui Kasumi 240mm White #2?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Friend of mine has one, doesn't use it and would give me a "friendship" price ;)

I don't really "need" another Gyuto right now, and the handle is quite crappy (plastic ferrule), but wth ... I can always re-handle if I like the blade.

Any opinion/experience with this knife?

Decent blade for 150 bucks. Cheap handle though. Pretty thin at the edge, but the smooth finish really makes it a food magnate.

Decent blade for 150 bucks. Cheap handle though. Pretty thin at the edge, but the smooth finish really makes it a food magnate.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking... Even though I would get it for a lot less than that, I'd still have to factor in $100 or so even for a rather simple handle upgrade (unless I do it myself...)

Yeah, that's what I was thinking... Even though I would get it for a lot less than that, I'd still have to factor in $100 or so even for a rather simple handle upgrade (unless I do it myself...)

For a lot less than $100, Jon Broida can put a nice, simple ho, ichii or burnt chestnut handle on the knife:

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/knife-rehandling

Here's an octagon ichii handle he put on one of Marko's practice knives for me:

IMG_5935.jpg

For a lot less than $100, Jon Broida can put a nice, simple ho, ichii or burnt chestnut handle on the knife:

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/knife-rehandling

Here's an octagon ichii handle he put on one of Marko's practice knives for me:

View attachment 29336

Great to know, thanks a lot! I prefer simple handles, just not ho and plastic ferrule, so this might just be me go-to solution in the future (unless I can Stefan to make me some nice ones [emoji6][emoji12])

I second rick's recommendation for rehandling at JKI. Jon put the nicest chestnut handle I have in my collection on One of my shigs. It was a PITA job too be of the obese tang, but it came out perfect.

I have a Wakui Kasumi 180mm and I have to say the blade is one of my best cutters.

Back