An introduction to Buttermilk Supply (and to me)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttermilk

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Since I'm a new face around here, I wanted to be sure I fully introduce myself and explain my shop. I've split this intro into two parts: one for Buttermilk Supply and one for me (feel free to skip my history!). So, if you're ever curious, here they are.

Sam (that's me):
I’ve been in the food industry through my entire working life. My earlier experiences were in food retail management and development for artisan producers that I admired. It presented great opportunities to me such as: establishing a wine and cheese program (before my legal drinking age), meeting Chef Achatz and later eating at Alinea (a formative experience for me), and working with new (to me) ideas in food and business at Zingerman's. I needed to get deeper, so I chose the path towards my primary interest of cooking. I spent a couple months staging around the country at Michelin-starred restaurants before accepting a position at Elizabeth in Chicago. Working with a team of three cooks and a passionate chef we worked our way to earning a Michelin star in our first year. Everything was great, but I needed to do things for myself.

Throughout these years, I was being introduced, by my (now) wife, to Japanese food and culture. It immediately clicked with me. It was like being born again. Learning about and tasting their thousands of years of culinary advancement with humbling and beyond thrilling. When I left Elizabeth, I didn’t know what I’d do but I knew Japan would be the place to start. So, I spent my first month there.

Japan blew my mind. I needed it to be a part of my daily life. So, I start an underground bento delivery service, Buttermilk Bento. It quickly became far more popular than I had expected. Within a week of starting an Instagram account and my new business, I had more demand than I could handle. It was great, but it was just me, and there weren’t enough hours in the day, and I missed fine-dining. After months of bentos, I started Buttermilk Social, a series of underground fine-dining Japanese-referenced tasting menu dinners.

Then, I was offered the exec chef position of a newly rebuilt upscale Japanese restaurant. This was an incredible learning experience for me. I was able to play with food and experiment in new ways while introducing our guests to some of my favorite traditional Japanese foods. During my time at Juno, I cooked collaborative dinners with people that I admire (Chefs Duffy and Sandoval) and brought it full circle cooking our tasting menu for Chef Achatz. Long story short, I needed to move on. This led me to where I am today, Buttermilk Supply.

Buttermilk Supply:

I started building Buttermilk Supply in March during a month Japan split between visiting makers, learning Japanese farming, and hiking mountain trails. Since, I've have spent all of my waking hours developing relationships with the craftsmen of Japan, and creating the shop itself. Vetting nearly 100 makers to curate what I think best represents a dynamic and diversified offering of the highest performing tools for the western cook.

Collaborating with craftsmen that I respect immensely, we've developed some awesome lines of knives specifically for us. We are also the only shop (outside of one in Japan) with the honor of carrying Shigehiro knives: the collaboration of masters Yoshikazu Ikeda and Shigehiro Kasahara. I couldn't be more proud of this. Because of the long process of tweaking profiles and treatment, as well as being sold out before knives hit the store, the shop page shows a fairly small inventory. I will continue to develop relationships with makers, work on creating great new knives, and always go the extra mile to improve your experience in every way.

In addition to the work from Japanese makers (and, soon, makers from the U.S., Germany, Romania, Canada...) I am making custom work in knives and handles. There will be a thread where I'll post any new work. Additionally, knife sharpening is available through the mail or by appointment at the shop in Chicago.

I am an extremely open and honest (sometimes to a fault) person. I don't believe in bullsh*t. If you ever have a question, concern, or something I can help you with, I will always be happy to hear from you.

"While I'm spilling my guts over here, I want to give a huge thanks to people like Jon at JKI and Dave Martell. My getting started down this road as a young cook is largely because of Jon's generosity in sharing his knowledge on the forums, his working with new (to us) great makers, and Dave's long-term fundamental support of the forum. I don't think I'd be able to do what I do if it hadn't been for them and others like them. There are a ton of people on this forum that I learned from in my early days and I appreciate all the members contributing to this great resource."

Last edited by a moderator:
Sam, welcome to the forum as a vendor. It was great reading more about your history, and understanding your background.

I had (luckily) come across your website about a month ago, and am very happy I snagged that Kono Fuji Sakura gyuto!

Welcome aboard, Sam! Sounds like you've been enjoying life as well, glad to hear it. Looking fwd to seeing/hearing more on these pages.

Always nice to see another quality vendor. Just checked out the site. Looks great. My only critique would be to maybe add spine shots to the knife galleries?

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys! I feel like I should add that I've been hanging around this forum since 2011, just quietly.

Welcome, Sam. I'll have to stop in sometime soon since I live ~ a mile from the shop.

Glad to see someone here from the hood! Drop me a line whenever you know you want to stop by.

Always nice to see another quality vendor. Just checked out the site. Looks great. My only critique would be to maybe add spine shots to the knife galleries?

Thanks! I appreciate both the kind words and critique. I've been coding the site myself and, though I still have lots to tidy up/add, I'm totally open to any feedback for me to implement. I'll work on adding spine shots as I'm able.

I'm in Chicago from time to time for work. We just opened a new place a few months ago in Lakeview. I'd love to stop by for a visit next time I'm in town

I'm in Chicago from time to time for work. We just opened a new place a few months ago in Lakeview. I'd love to stop by for a visit next time I'm in town

Nice! What's your place in Lakeview? I'd love to have you in. Drop me a line when you want to come by.

Very cool.

Do you have plans for a store front like Northwestern or is it going to be off internet & appointments only?

whoa cool sukenari western... any chance that'll come in different flavours (steel)?

Very cool.

Do you have plans for a store front like Northwestern or is it going to be off internet & appointments only?

I have tentative plans for a storefront to happen by the end of 2016. That said, I really like where I am right now and may instead work on a way for people to more easily stop-in here.

whoa cool sukenari western... any chance that'll come in different flavours (steel)?

It's unlikely that there will be a Sukenari western in a different steel. I just finalized a line, not from Sukenari, of HAP40 westerns that will be coming in soon. Though likely not yo-handled, I am working with Sukenari on a custom line in a new (new to kitchen knives) PM steel.

Some great stuff here Sam - good luck with the site. Any plans on tweaking the website so there's a wishlist to notify peeps when out of stock items are back in ? I find it tedious to 'do the rounds' of online retailers awaiting rare blades.

Some great stuff here Sam - good luck with the site. Any plans on tweaking the website so there's a wishlist to notify peeps when out of stock items are back in ? I find it tedious to 'do the rounds' of online retailers awaiting rare blades.

Thanks!

Yes! Ask and ye shall receive. A waitlist notification is now automatically available for anything out of stock. When the item you're waitlisted for is back in stock, you'll immediately get an e-mail.

It's unlikely that there will be a Sukenari western in a different steel. I just finalized a line, not from Sukenari, of HAP40 westerns that will be coming in soon. Though likely not yo-handled, I am working with Sukenari on a custom line in a new (new to kitchen knives) PM steel.

Tell me more about the sukenari :D

Looks like I am late in the game for welcoming you aboard....but welcome. Like the site and the offerings, cool looking boning knife on another post. Next time I am out in Chicago I will reach out to meet you and see you wares.

Welcome!

Your site is absolutely lovely. It's nice to see sharp things presented so well. I'll send some people your way.

Welcome. I think you've done a good job with defining the Shigehiro line, what about more information on your other makers?

Looks like I am late in the game for welcoming you aboard....but welcome. Like the site and the offerings, cool looking boning knife on another post. Next time I am out in Chicago I will reach out to meet you and see you wares.

Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome. Let me know whenever you want to stop by.

Your site is absolutely lovely. It's nice to see sharp things presented so well. I'll send some people your way.

Hey, thanks! I appreciate the kind words. Best of luck to you guys as well.

Welcome. I think you've done a good job with defining the Shigehiro line, what about more information on your other makers?

Thanks, El Pescador. I appreciate your support. I'm happy to post everything I can about the other makers. Maybe best dealt with if I start a new thread?

Back