Around the bench at Buttermilk Supply

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttermilk

Reaction score
This thread will be home to any custom work and projects around the shop.

Starting this thread with a custom leather knife that I finished today. O1 at ~63 HRC, right-handed, and wearing a new style of handle. The handle transitions from octagonal at the butt to oval towards the brass. The thought was to use an oval for comfort at the base of the palm and an octagon for control by the thumb and primary fingers. 39mm at the edge.

leatherknife2.jpg

Finished a prototype boning knife this week. This knife is a collaboration with R. Murphy, as I think their mostly-stiff boning knives are great. They did the rough grinds and heat treating; I finished the bevels and took it from there. Buckeye burl and brass handle. I'm quite happy with the finished piece. The aim was to make a western boning knife that is more than just functional. These might show up in the shop soon.

buttermilkboningknife.jpg

A couple pieces I finished last night for some dear friends of mine. Soon to be husband and wife, they just opened a beautiful restaurant called Spencer in Ann Arbor, MI.

HAP40 185mm line knife with a convex laser grind, handled with a combination I've been loving recently: spalted tamarind, blackwood, and brass. The offset is, in my mind, one of the single most important tools in a contemporary kitchen. This one is handled with strongly figured bird's eye maple and an experiment with lining.

buttermilkHAP40lineknife.jpg

buttermilkoffset.jpg

A couple pieces I finished last night for some dear friends of mine. Soon to be husband and wife, they just opened a beautiful restaurant called Spencer in Ann Arbor, MI.

HAP40 185mm line knife with a convex laser grind, handled with a combination I've been loving recently: spalted tamarind, blackwood, and brass. The offset is, in my mind, one of the single most important tools in a contemporary kitchen. This one is handled with strongly figured bird's eye maple and an experiment with lining.

View attachment 29579

View attachment 29580

You and me sir... we are going to be friends, that offset is amazing

View attachment 29579

View attachment 29580

That handle is stunning! Love the knife... Love! Want! One! Now! (Might be the liquor talking. Or not. Probably not. Most likely not! [emoji12])

That handle is stunning! Love the knife... Love! Want! One! Now! (Might be the liquor talking. Or not. Probably not. Most likely not! [emoji12])

I'm glad to not be the only one talking through liquor around here. Thanks for the kind words.

The adopting parent of this Shigehiro suji wanted a saya as well. Hand-carved poplar to match the ho wood; brass and bone pin to match the rest.

shigehirosaya.jpg

Custom nakiri saya next to his brother. Square saya, square pin.

buttermilksupplysaya.jpg

View attachment 29579

View attachment 29580
Any chance of a group buy on those offsets?

Back