Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooking shows

Cooking shows

Was wondering if anybody had favourites to recommend. I think we all know jacques and julia, and to be honest I still enjoy watching them. Reminds me of cooking at home with my family.

But as a professional I have been really enjoying several shows lately, two are imports. The two british shows I love are Great British Menu (many michelin starred chefs compete) and Masterchef The Professionals UK (This has been great for a long time, I love Roux jr. when he was on, such great exposition of classical techniques - in the final week of every season the contestants go work in michelin starred kitchens, it's truly inspirational to watch how they conduct service)...

In USA on the esquire network I like Knife Fight. Lots of cool japanese knife sightings and even though it's very "hipster" they do live butchery and the cooking can be very interesting to watch. Many award winning chefs compete.

What do you like to watch?

I've been enjoying the last 4-5 years without tv but PBS used to have a great lineup on the weekend here. A grilling show, Pepin, Bayless and Lidia Bastianich (and a few more)...one of the few things I miss about having one of those toobs
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Oh yeah forgot that I really like America's Test Kitchen. Dunno if you ever caught that one but it's on what we call "PBS" up here. PS I watch everything online, if you know how to work a proxy you can find both british shows on the BBC website for free if I recall.

I maybe alone here but I like diners drive ins and dives... I don't care for the host but I get great insight on the small things that I may not know... They do these 2-3min recipes for pulled pork with 20 different spices, and you see before, during, final result. For someone who is learning, I think it's great to see such ways

There is an Australian series called kings of the kitchen, it's hard to find, but I really enjoyed it, it's a little dated now, but still a good watch if you can find it.
    Here is a trailer from youtube
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IwBzHw-Q7RM
    Huw
    There are many people who claim to be good cooks; just as there are many people who, after having repainted the garden gate take themselves to be painters.
    Fernand Point

I just blasted through Great British Menu season 10 recently, and I found the standard judging room fairy grating. What I did like was in the finals week the chefs also got to score each other.

I really like MasterChef Australia. It airs something like 4 or 5 times a week, so there are tons of episodes compared to the US version, something like 70 episodes per season. I didn't get to see all of season one, but it's got a different feel/format from the following seasons. Season five, for a few reasons, is the worst of the seven seasons so far. This past season had a really young contestant (turned 21 during filming) who was putting up mind blowing desserts. They always bring in high profile guest chefs too. The previous seasons had weekly MasterClass episodes that show the judges and guest chefs teaching the contestants things. Sadly, to me anyway, those were mostly gone this season - I think they might have turned them into a web series since the TV ratings for them were lacking. I think it's much better than the US version.

I know Gordon Ramsay is a polarizing character, but his UK shows are really good, IMO. The US shows lean more towards the Hell's Kitchen persona than the UK ones. Kitchen Nightmares UK was the first of his shows that I really sat down and watched, and it got me hooked on watching his other shows.

Bourdain's various shows, while not really cooking shows, almost always have something revolving around food in them and I generally enjoy watching. The episodes where Eric Ripert shows up are always the best.

Mind of a Chef is my current favorite, obviously prefer certain chefs much more than others. I loved Molto Mario and even have some old recordings from back when I had cable and hooked it up to my pc...

i like ATK and the Cook's country. just fun and easy viewing.

that Laura Calder show went away, and she was super easy to watch.

the rest are just passing watches while channel surfing..

Quote Originally Posted by TurboScooter View Post
    I just blasted through Great British Menu season 10 recently, and I found the standard judging room fairy grating. What I did like was in the finals week the chefs also got to score each other.
    Yeah, I don't always agree with the judging however, I find the food to be so interesting (theatrical without being over the top) that it makes up for the local heats.

You guys really gotta check out Professionals UK I'm surprised nobody has seen it. The food is absolutely stunning. The skills tests are actually something you can learn from (when Roux Jr. was on they were especially awesome)

I'll watch anything with Giada De Laurentiis, for her cook skills (I swear).