Quantcast
Pepper - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pepper

I like long pepper. It has some bite to it but generally can substitute for black papper. They look sort of like miniature pinecones and may not fit in a lot of grinders, but you can also use a microplane and grate it like nutmeg. They are also good to throw in slow-cooked stews.

http://www.nirmalaskitchen.com/shop-...a-long-pepper/

k.

Question for Bruce

How fine would is the grind on your mills, adjustable? Are they solid wood of the outside variety, I ask because I know some of those are toxic if ingested.

The grind on my mills is adjustable and goes all the way to coarse (almost cracked). Many European Mills do not get much past medium-coarse.

I am not sure what you mean by "solid wood of the outside variety". All of my mills are made from a single solid piece of wood. Some of the woods are tropical exotic hardwoods that contains oils that are known to be irritants to soft tissue if you get a faceful or lungful. That risk is on me the woodturner, not the mill user. Regardless, I line every mill with a CAP food-grade plastic tube. (Just for the record, I think the term "toxic" is way overused to the point of almost being useless.) I also seal the wood surface with a linseed oil/super glue mix so the so-called "toxic" substances should not contact either your hands or the contents.

Bruce

That answers what I asked. I phrased it quickly as I was trying to multitask. I work in chemicals and do hazardous waste for my employer so toxic is just part of my vocabulary, it is over used though.

Thanks
    Jared

Bruce's pepper grinders are indeed beautiful, and someday I'm going to break down and buy a set for the dining room. For the kitchen, however, you can't beat the Unicorn Magnum Plus ($45 + $4 shipping from the manufacturer -- CLICK HERE). Holds about a cup of peppercorns, grinds very quickly and evenly, and highly adjustable, as you can see in this photo showing the coarsest and finest grinds it produces:

Doug Collins
    Hermosa Beach, California

Nice. My Unicorn Magnum plus is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Heard great things and have yet to find a pepper grinder that met my standards. Hoping this is the one.

The pepper passion site looks great. I'll definitely be taking advantage of that coupon code and trying a few.

One thing about the Magnum, and the reason I have that photo of the grinds: some people find the adjustment mechanism difficult to use, specifically they can't figure out how to get a fine grind. One guy on the Robert Parker wine bulletin board posted that the Magnum was a POS because of that, so I sent him the photo and told him the secret, which is simple: Any large pepper chunks in the grinding mechanism can prevent you from turning the adjustment knob, so flip the grinder upside down (i.e., with the grinding mechanism pointing up), give the Magnum a few cranks to clear the chunks from the grinder, then turn the adjustment knob. You should be able to get almost powdered pepper that way.
    Doug Collins
    Hermosa Beach, California

That is true for any adjustable mill.

Bruce

Nice advice. Thanks.

People who can't use tools should not review them!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig