(a belated) Hello From Chicago

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a little late for me, as I've been consuming as much information as I can and replying in certain threads already.

Hello from Chicago!:
I'm a house and child poor engineer who enjoys cooking somewhat seriously at home and dove back down the custom knife hole after dusting off some of my old folders from a time where I had disposable income for nice things. I've got an at least decade old set of german knives that are fine (actually not all that great, now that I'm paying attention to how things cut instead of simply "do they cut") but I wanted to get experience with carbon steel. I ordered a cheap Chinese Cleaver from the wok shop (based on my lurking here) that arrived with uneven grind(s) and wavy metal that I'm currently thinning out to get practice on as an every day option. I have some photos that I'll post as I go along and heartily welcome comments/critiques. I know how I get into things and I'll be learning/upgrading/branching out as time goes on, but I've got to get just a little bit more money before I really can; in the meantime I'll be making incremental upgrades wherever they make sense.

-Jim

Welcome, Jim! The Wok Shop cleaver project is a good one. Low risk, plenty of issues to fix, and it's relatively soft. Have fun.

Back