Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Polishing a Turd..Before/After

Polishing a Turd..Before/After

So I always wondered what a 217$ blue #1 honyaki would be like and I did need a rainy day project. I was expecting a chubby blade but that's not the case.I would describe this blade as Thin,Rough,and HARD! It was seriously over hammered in the middle so I was limited to what I could do to her.I only thinned the shoulder and the tip,I hardly removed any metal.I am going to say that this blade is by far the hardest thing I have ever sanded.She would not let go of a scratch for nothing,she's still very scratchy.I will have to do a review when she gets a handle and a good sharpening.

My word, please don't tell me you did that entirely by hand!

The Mythbusters actually polished turds.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    My word, please don't tell me you did that entirely by hand!

The Mythbusters actually polished turds.
    My hands were holding it up to a belt grinderI do go to hand sanding at 400,but this blade was just laughing at my sandpaper.

I'm missing skin on 5 fingers from trying to hand rub S35VN, I beleive it is easier to pull your teeth through your a$$, then it is to hand rub this stuff! This wasn't laughing at my paper, it was laughing, pointing, and whispering nasty things!

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Yeah, I've never been so motivated to go buy a power tool than when sandpaper stopped working, and I noticed the steel I was rubbing actually took the grit entirely off the paper.

That is a great job cleaning it up! You gonna handle it next?

I have some ringed gidgee and buffalo horn epoxied up.

A major improvement! From what little I have read about blue steel, I am wondering if it is the carbides more than the RC hardness that makes it scoff at your sandpaper? Doesn't that steel have some carbide forming elements in it like vanadium or tungsten?

Yup. Tungsten.

Isn't that the steel that also has 1.5% carbon content/ If so, I would think that you would have as much of the carbon locked up in carbides as you do in the iron. If so, hat would make for a fun hand sanding experience......NOT!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Yup. Tungsten.

Regular Blue 1 has 1.25-1.35 C, .3-.5 Cr and 1.5-2.0 W.

Btw. Mario, where you got that turd from?