Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: Shigehiro Knives

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,167
    Quote Originally Posted by buttermilk View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, El Pescador. I'm glad to hear that you like it so far. You're having a lot of the same reactions that I've had to the Shigehiro knives. There's definitely a "broken in" feeling about them, something like your favorite jeans or boots that after months or years fit you like a glove; but these knives have already taken those steps. Like I've said, I think these knives are something special.

    Marc, Kasahara-san is extremely consistent and I've yet to see any knife to knife variation beyond 2mm. They're not tall knives but, in my experience, they've never felt short.
    Might be worth ordering a few knives slightly taller for those of us who like them like that, like marc I would take a 53/55 mm tall knife over a 48/50 mm knife any day of the week, could be a kkf special, I have seen japanesechefknives do that before on other forums with their hd line

  2. #22
    Senior Member buttermilk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by Godslayer View Post
    Might be worth ordering a few knives slightly taller for those of us who like them like that, like marc I would take a 53/55 mm tall knife over a 48/50 mm knife any day of the week, could be a kkf special, I have seen japanesechefknives do that before on other forums with their hd line
    I will keep this in mind. I respect your preference for taller knives, but I am extremely reluctant to work on modified versions of the Shigehiro knives. I would consider tall versions from any of my other makers, but I'm not interested in messing with what Kasahara-san and Ikeda-san are doing.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,796
    Quote Originally Posted by alterwisser View Post
    The white horn....!!! I don't know why not more people go for it! I have it on my Ashi Ginga. Looks so sleek and makes even a simple Ho-Handle shine
    The white horn with a burnt chestnut handle is another option that might look good.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Nieuw Zeeland
    Posts
    2,048
    I'd also prefer something a little higher/taller, but completely understand that you'd be reluctant to try and tinker with a design supplied by an emminent pair of craftsmen. Who knows, they might feel they know what's what at any rate and not take requests to change either.

    As for all the praise for the light/marble ferrules, isn't it something like only 1 in 10 end up light? They look good, sure, but I also think darker/black ones look better over time. The blonde/light marble ones seem to discolour over time and if any slight gaps open around the horn, then you see them more easily.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    2,687
    I came close to buying a 240 again, after my recent sell on BST. Looked today and saw they're sold out, again. The only reason why I hesitate is the heel height, but I gotta say I'm really curious about this knife. I'd love to hear more about how it performs.

    Sam, there's a good chance I'll be in Chicago a day or 2 for work come soon. I'd love to meet up and chat about this line. And if you just happen to have one laying around, I'd love to check it out.

  6. #26
    Senior Member buttermilk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by marc4pt0 View Post
    I came close to buying a 240 again, after my recent sell on BST. Looked today and saw they're sold out, again. The only reason why I hesitate is the heel height, but I gotta say I'm really curious about this knife. I'd love to hear more about how it performs.

    Sam, there's a good chance I'll be in Chicago a day or 2 for work come soon. I'd love to meet up and chat about this line. And if you just happen to have one laying around, I'd love to check it out.
    It's already been tough keeping a lot of the Shigehiro knives in stock for long. The good news is that more should be coming hopefully within three weeks. I'd be happy to have you in. I'll likely have a few Shigehiro knives on hand. Get in touch when you're headed this way and we'll find a time.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    2,687
    It'll be like a play date.

  8. #28
    Senior Member buttermilk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by marc4pt0 View Post
    It'll be like a play date.
    I just restocked the shop bourbon. Unrelated.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    2,687
    And I just decided to pick up a 240. Curiosity really got the better of me on this one...

  10. #30
    Senior Member mikedtran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by marc4pt0 View Post
    And I just decided to pick up a 240. Curiosity really got the better of me on this one...
    Saved me from it. Been quite tempted, but really need to slow down on knife purchases.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •