Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shigehiro Knives

Shigehiro Knives

Sam, could you please tell us more about the Shigehiro knives you have on your site? They sound promising . . . forged by Yoshikazu Ikeda and sharpened by Shigehiro Kasahara.

Have any members out there handled them?

Would also love to hear more. Just reading about Yoshikazu Ikeda and Shigehiro Kasahara have been very interesting. Most interesting fact is that Yoshikazu Ikeda has been the chairman of the association of dentoukougeishi since 2001!

Ah! This is my sub, now I can talk a bit about these. There are only a few dozen of these knives out in the world, and all of them were sold before I was a vendor here. So, I don't actually know if any of them ended up in the hands of anyone on KKF. I'm happy to give any information you're interested in.

Ikeda-san and Kasahara-san are my dream team. Their businesses are separate but they're friends in real life. Ikeda-san's treatment of white #2 is far beyond anything I've seen for that steel and his blues are great. The blades have a lower than average reactivity, take a crazy edge and hold it beyond what I could've expected, and they feel awesome on the stones. Kasahara-san's grinds are unassuming behind the kasumi, but they're extremely high-performing. Good food release, awesome cutters, and strong at the edge. They're something of a workhorse grind without any of the heavy-ness. Fit and finish are real solid and entirely comfortable. The choil and spine are eased and polished, not a full-round like Konosuke. The handles are simple and solid. They're oriented towards pros and they're effective, but not drawer queen handles.

I have no intention of hyping or pushing these knives. I just happen to love them. They're the knives I wish I had when I was chefing, and they're the knives I reach for most often at home. They're far from the blingiest (that's a word, right?) knives out there, but they're my favorite all-around performers I've used.

Again, if you guys have any specific questions I will always be happy to answer them openly. I just restocked the 240mm white #2 gyuto and 150mm white #2 petty, added a 270mm white #2 suji and a sweet little 90mm petty. There will more suminagashi knives coming soon, and a range of single-bevels coming in January or February. For the sake of simplicity, I haven't yet brought in the full line of blue #2. Are you guys interested in that?

I just checked these out, I sent the gf an email saying I know what I want for Christmas super sexy, love the white buffalo horn.

Quote Originally Posted by Godslayer View Post
    I just checked these out, I sent the gf an email saying I know what I want for Christmas super sexy, love the white buffalo horn.
    Haha I do the same with my gf i give her a list (she hates it). These look really nice they are now on the list

Quote Originally Posted by buttermilk View Post
    For the sake of simplicity, I haven't yet brought in the full line of blue #2. Are you guys interested in that?
    For the sake of simplicity: YES!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeks1989 View Post
    Haha I do the same with my gf i give her a list (she hates it). These look really nice they are now on the list
    That's certainly efficient! I, too, love the white/marble buffalo. Not blingy, but classy as hell. Just so I'm not bearing the burden of ruining anyone's Christmas, I need to say that supply is likely to be tight over the next two months.

Quote Originally Posted by toddnmd View Post
    For the sake of simplicity: YES!
    Heard. I'm working on it.

Another vote for Blue #2.

So close to NYC I would say NYC ... but don't tell a native New Yorker!
    The white horn....!!! I don't know why not more people go for it! I have it on my Ashi Ginga. Looks so sleek and makes even a simple Ho-Handle shine

Quote Originally Posted by alterwisser View Post
    The white horn....!!! I don't know why not more people go for it! I have it on my Ashi Ginga. Looks so sleek and makes even a simple Ho-Handle shine
    They are not easy to get and not always available