Knives for primals.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vertigo

Slightly Less Hooligan
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay guys, what do you use?

Six days a week I start my shift by breaking down a ribeye primal or two. It's cathartic in a weird Dexter way, and I get a kick out of challenging myself to go faster and improve my yield; the problem is, I'm positive I'm using the wrong tool for the job.

Most of the time, I just use the same 270mm gyuto I use for 99% of my prep: it's pointy enough to navigate around the fat and silverskin, and I can cut steaks straight out without changing tools. It doesn't exactly excel in either capacity though. As an alternative, I'll sometimes use a 6" flexible filet knife to clean and trim, then switch to the gyuto for portioning.

Anyone else spend hours of their lives wrist deep in cow guts, and have a more efficient suggestion?

For knocking off the big bits, and bringing things down to size, it's hard to beat a classic scimitar IMO. For fine tuning, I like a 150-170 mm petty, short at the heel, and stupidly aggressive at the tip.

For fine tuning, I like a 150-170 mm petty, short at the heel, and stupidly aggressive at the tip.
That was my thinking kinda, a really narrow petty in the 150-210 range. Most everyone else who does this in the restaurant sticks with the filet knife though - is flexibility particularly important?

How about a bullnose or a scimitar?
The owner keeps a 12" pre-war carbon scimitar in his office. Maybe he'll let me clean it up and press it back into service.

For knocking off the big bits, and bringing things down to size, it's hard to beat a classic scimitar IMO. For fine tuning, I like a 150-170 mm petty, short at the heel, and stupidly aggressive at the tip.

What type of petty are you using?

BTW, the scimitar and bullnose I got from you have nice wood set aside and just waiting on time for a re-handle.

I'm a big fan of this guy. Works like a scimitar but more nimble. Typically this style has a lot of flex, but luckily this sourdough one doesn't.

20141127_181246-picsay_zps03eca860.jpg

YuACPMJ.gif

Having spent many hours breaking down rib eyes I know exactly how you feel. I actually posted a few similar threads here asking for advice.
First thing I would say is Guyto is defiantly not ideal, can certainly get the job done but If your going for efficiency and yield than you need something with a better tip.
I went threw many different knife line ups before finding what works for me. I almost always preferred two knives. And if your doing lots of primal its not silly to just have two knives out while working. My first knife was always a small nimble one with a pointy tip for knocking off the triangle of fat and slipping around that silver skin. I used to use a hankotsu for that then a 180 petty and finally a blood root boning knife. They all did the job well. Then I would switch to a big knife for portioning. Started with a 300 suiji then tried the cck butchers knife then a Victronix 10" breaking then a 12" bullnose breaker. And to be honest each knife left a little to be desired. As far as profile the breaking knife was best at falling right threw the rib but I was constantly frustrated with its edge retention and found it hard to sharpen. So I would inevitably swap out for a sharper suiji. For me the ideal candidate seemed to be a custom made knife with good steal and scimitar profile but I never found one and they tend to be pricy.

I'm a big fan of this guy. Works like a scimitar but more nimble. Typically this style has a lot of flex, but luckily this sourdough one doesn't.

Sexy knife, that's exactly what I was talking about I just never got around to finding one. How long is the blade?

I use a Harner boner. It is kind of a hybrid boning/breaking knife. That way I don't have to switch knives. All of my meat cutters would use a 5 or 6 inch boning knife and a 10 inch breaking knife for beef rib racks.

Forgecraft made a breaking knife. That could be worth a look around ebay. I don't really do ebay but I think it is mostly just the chef knives with the high prices.

Tojiro Gokujo would be a good here as well.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

238678E6-33CF-432D-ACF1-F1CC3EBD0C91.jpg

88551AB1-6673-467D-874A-A5DBAC8421DD.jpg

I have this stiff fillet/boning knife from a well known local bladesmith, called David Brodziak. I use this for for all primal work and such a joy to use. It's a PM steel but cannot remember at the top of my head now.

Back