Christmas Gift Sets Ideas

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I would like to produce a few sets of knives in time for Christmas.

Was thinking 240mm gyuto, 275mm suji, and 90mm paring knife, all matching wood, octagonal shape handles. Might do the gyutos in S-geometry. Paring knife will feature a ground radius at the ferrule tip, for a comfortable hold. For the spacer, I was thinking of using a white spacer instead of metal.

For wood, I am getting a quite a bit of wood from stabilizing shortly, so there will be high-end to standard choice selection. I will let customer to pick the wood.

What do you think of the idea? I wanted to do the sets for quite a while now (and not just these, but also butchering sets) and these three knives seem like the most useful knives for me, but I am happy to take into account your suggestion.

Marko

I think it is a great idea. I have been toying with the idea of getting some 2 or 3 knife sets made with my next purchases

I think it is a great idea. I have been toying with the idea of getting some 2 or 3 knife sets made with my next purchases

I thin the point here is to match the wood on all pieces of the set, but to make a set of the most useful knives.

I like gyuto-suji-parer combination, but am opened for other ideas, like gyuto-suji-petty, or gyuto-suji-nakiri. Tall knives I will offer with S grind, narrow knives with convex.

I can do many set, just maybe 3-4.

Going to think about it a little bit, but will start planning shortly.

Thanks,

Marko

Gyuto-suji-parer is a great set gives you a little bit of everything. What type of steel are you thinking? My vote is abe-l, I think majority of people who will buy this set will be for a gift for someone like mom gf dad family members etc.

Either gyuto-suji-parer or gyuto-suji-petty i think.

And personally i would say 52100 or aeb-l for steel types

I would love to see this happen. Let me know how I can be in the list. Thanks so much for this.

Not trying to hijack the thread because I believe this is an AWESOME idea ... but ... the idea of a 'Marko Butchery Set' makes me sooooo happpyyy! Please let me know if this happens ... oh and in AEB-L please ...

The details will be pretty simple. Help me decide on the length and profile. I was thinking of doing Massamoish profile, as this is the profile I started with after moving closer to Shigefusa profile over the past couple of years, I am going to go back to my original profile - pointy tip, flatter profile (but not overly flat).

Butchering set is a tough sell, unsless there is intereset for 2-3 sets. I would love to do that though. Wanted to do it for a long time.

What would you have in mind for the butcher set? Scimitar/boning/bullnose/? your thoughts? ... pricing would be obviously something to understand but I am certainly VERY interested in a set but obviously you will need to see the business argument ... FWIW I am not overly concerned for having it by Xmas though ... my choice of materials would be AEB-L ...

What would you have in mind for the butcher set? Scimitar/boning/bullnose/? your thoughts? ... pricing would be obviously something to understand but I am certainly VERY interested in a set but obviously you will need to see the business argument ... FWIW I am not overly concerned for having it by Xmas though ... my choice of materials would be AEB-L ...

I was thinking of a shorter scimitar, a breaking knife and a short boning knife.

You guys pitch the ideas. I can do 3-4 sets.

I think if sizes overlap and we can come to some agreement, I will make the sets, and offer several wood choices, from basic to AAAA upgrade.

All these will be delivered in time for Christmas.

I was thinking of doing Massamoish profile, as this is the profile I started with after moving closer to Shigefusa profile over the past couple of years, I am going to go back to my original profile - pointy tip, flatter profile (but not overly flat).

Hopefully spending time with my Masamoto honyaki influenced this decision... Just kidding of course, but I have always favored this profile (as you may remember I own a Shigefusa as well). Your work has improved both of these knives and I am still grateful every time I use them.

Hey Marko - this is something I think we may have been chatting about / I believe the "sabaki" style of knife would be perfect (IMO)! I had sent you a PM earlier for a knife that might be interesting to base a profile on. FWIW - I think a Sabaki along with two of the others you have proposed would be a perfect 'butcher set' for me at least. Just need to figure out pricing once the stars align ...
Might consider sabaki as well

As an individual, and with most people I know, they are fairly well covered in the gyuto range. If you were to do something like nakiri, honesuki, petty/paring, then I would be ALL over that.

Hi folks,
I would like to produce a few sets of knives in time for Christmas.

Was thinking 240mm gyuto, 275mm suji, and 90mm paring knife, all matching wood, octagonal shape handles. Might do the gyutos in S-geometry. Paring knife will feature a ground radius at the ferrule tip, for a comfortable hold. For the spacer, I was thinking of using a white spacer instead of metal.

For wood, I am getting a quite a bit of wood from stabilizing shortly, so there will be high-end to standard choice selection. I will let customer to pick the wood.

What do you think of the idea? I wanted to do the sets for quite a while now (and not just these, but also butchering sets) and these three knives seem like the most useful knives for me, but I am happy to take into account your suggestion.

Marko

I love the idea, and would be in on a set for sure.

Here is a couple of examples of sets

DSC_1301.JPG

DSC_1302.JPG

are you done with my paring knife? my hands miss her and I can't find anything else I like to use.

I'd say 225 gyuto (52100), 170 petty (52100), and 90-100mm parer (AEB-l because you work with it, and it's great stuff).

I find I hardly use my 240 gyutos anymore, and have been trending towards 210/220mm knives. Maybe that's just me(?)

Back