Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The steak knife

The steak knife

Having just returned from France, I spent a great deal of time admiring beautifully crafted steak knives from Laguiole, Le Theirs and Opinel. But i was hesitant in making any impulse purchases without research.

So whilst it isn't specifically a kitchen knife (mods please move this post if so), does anyone have experience with great steak knives that will cut through steaks like a hot knife through butter?

I've been eating steak on a weekly basis, more or less, for 50+ years and until last Christmas I never owned any steak knives. Because of my wife's insistence I bought a set of Wusthof knives as one of her Christmas gifts. So now when I fix steaks I would break out the steak knives except somewhere within the past month I stopped using them. Frankly I guess I just forgot about them until this thread popped up. What this tells me is, steak knives are just an extra piece of tableware cutlery that's not necessary.

In fact I find it quite useful. I've got a stainless one by Diamant Sabatier Forgé I use as well with fruit. It's sharper than most table cutlery but softer than my kitchen knives which makes sense as it might hit the plate. Maintain with a fine ceramic rod. Have the non-serrated version to avoid a bloody mess on your plate.

I think that I remember seeing a show a few years back that said in a lot of places in France they simply don't put knives on the table, you are almost expected to be carrying your own. Not sure if that's changed but that's what I remember seeing.

I was just thinking about steak knives yesterday, and possibly making some from some of my recovered band saw steel. I really like Chateau Laguoile's corkscrews, not so much their steak knives, and would one day like to "invest" in a juniper handled corkscrew. Custom Curling has a good selection of all that stuff. And as simple and inexpensive as they are, I'm a big fan of Opinel knives. I have several, including a carbon No. 8 pocket knife I gave to my dad back in 1978. I use it almost every day. Sorry for getting OT on the OT :-)
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

The Opinel no. 8 will perform very well as a steak knife...

+1
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    What this tells me is, steak knives are just an extra piece of tableware cutlery that's not necessary.
    +1

Everyone should cut their steak with their EDC. If you don't have one, get one.

Interesting discussion. I'm currently using a basic Opinel tableware set at the moment, which isn't too shabby at all, and I have an Opinel no 8 on it's way to me very soon.