Quantcast
The steak knife - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The steak knife

EDC = Every Day Carry?

However you are not allowed to carry a knife in Norway.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    Everyone should cut their steak with their EDC. If you don't have one, get one.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    EDC = Every Day Carry?

However you are not allowed to carry a knife in Norway.
    That's ridiculous, especially in Norway. I bet 90% of Norwegians didn't know knives could be used to hurt people.

You know, tableware is relatively new, only a few hundred years old. Most all meals used to be eaten with your hands, bread, and the knife you carried with you. A snooty rich man's knife was one that looked like it was only used for eating, because it was.

I have 4 Messermeister steak knives that I've had for years. I use wooden plates for steaks, easier on the edges.
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    What this tells me is, steak knives are just an extra piece of tableware cutlery that's not necessary.
    +1 to this. The only time I need a steak knife is when I eat out or at a friend's house (and in those cases I prefer the EDC--though that can be uncomfortable at Jimmy's Steak Shack).

Given you are cutting against a china plate, really good steak knives seem like a total waste of time to me. Many of the "Laguiole" steak knives I've been handed in France were actually made in China to the general style. I have no problem with that given how I was using them.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle Soup View Post
    Given you are cutting against a china plate, really good steak knives seem like a total waste of time to me. Many of the "Laguiole" steak knives I've been handed in France were actually made in China to the general style. I have no problem with that given how I was using them.
    Laguiole is a region - not a brand.

Many manufactures produce "Laguiole" knifes. Some are superbly crafted - others are absolute crap. A lot of the junk knock-offs are made in Pakistan (or China). Most of the Laguiole steak knives I've seen for sale in the US fall into the crap variety.

One of the quality manufacturers is Forge de Laguiole. I keep one of their "picnic" folders (3.5" blade & corkscrew) in my glove compartment just for that purpose.

DO NOT buy a Laguiole knife that was not made in France or you'll get exactly what you paid for....

James

I wonder if my wife will let me use my Opinel No.12 at the dinner table? Ima gonna do it... but I'll keep my No.8 close to hand just in case!

Seriously though, I like to use something straight-edged and disposable; ease of sharpening would be a big plus. Carbon steel preferred.

Currently, we (my wife and I) use these straight-edged Kiwi stainless fruit knives ($2 a piece) and they are sharp like scalpels. They dull real quick though and I touch them up with a diamond or ceramic hone.

Quote Originally Posted by deanb View Post
    I have 4 Messermeister steak knives that I've had for years. I use wooden plates for steaks, easier on the edges.
    hey, is Dave (BoardSmith) reading this thread? End grain steak plates!

Aren't there some high end steak houses that are now giving customers their choice of decent steak knives to use?