Edo-Saki, Can You Use It?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tosho

Reaction score
Hi KKF,
Just wondering if anyone here has experience using these eel knives.
Share your experience with them if you can
DSC03756.jpg

No experience but they look damn cool :coo2:, almost like a reverse kensaki tip. I'd be interested to also hear how the Edo variation differs from the generic unagi

^^ I thought unagi was what you cut with it?

My question is how the hell do you sharpen it?

As to the original question, my only experience is in eating eel, which I find delicious. :)

I would just sharpen it like an usuba only you have to do it in both sections.

I usually write the shorter version of the names (in this case unagisaki) because I am lazy, at least I'm sure I've hear them called that (if I'm wrong then I'm stupid too). Sort of how I'll use yanagi instead of yanagiba

Sorry to have chimed in...I know nothing at all about single bevels...but I do love eel:)

If I had a month, access to live eels, rewatch some YouTube videos, and one of these bad boys I could probably figure it out. The live freshwater eels is the biggest problem. It's like squid, menhaden or croaker, they are out there but it is hard to convince someone with a commercial license that you'll make it worth the gas and time to get the fish, then to keep it semi consistently available when they can sell snapper as a sure thing.

I bought one from y'all, a konosuke 210mm, a while ago to try out on smaller gulf fish for the hell of it with the thinking the upswept tip might be nice. I ended up selling it and stuck with the mioroshi. Awkward handle and being too tall for my liking were two reasons that stood out it didn't work for me. I never used the knife for what it was meant to do so my experience doesn't do the knife justice.

I would just sharpen it like an usuba only you have to do it in both sections.

Yes Theory is right, the sharpening isn't too tricky. Often users in Japan will put really steep microbevels on these knives.

I always wondered why the handle was shaped like that..

We've heard a couple theories about this, One is that it gives you some space in your knife hand to grab the meuchi (eel spike) with your palm. Another is it allows allows your arm to be in a more natural position when cutting along the spine of the fish. If it was a regular handle, one would have to lift their elbow a lot higher. Just some ideas

[video=youtube;x6rjGM-N1-U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6rjGM-N1-U[/video]

Here's a good video that shows how that tip is used. It's especially amenable to the initial cut lengthwise. See how he cradles the tip and eel in his hand as he makes the initial cut?

Cheers,

Jack

Back