• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

240 Toyama Noborikoi Gyto (EU)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Karnstein

Reaction score
I bought this one from JNS/Maksim a while ago on a whim, when people at a German knife enthusiast board I also visited went from buying more Laser knifes (both OOTB lasers and letting knives like a Carbonext get thinned to laser proportions) to purchases of blades with a more balanced/workhorse style.. Stuff like Fujiwaras, Shigs or esp. Katos. With Katos and Shigs being way beyond what I -as a student- could afford/justify to spend on single knife, I went for a Toyama gyuto instead.

The knife originally came as advertised on the JNS page with a D-shaped ho-wood handle. Shortly after the delivery I realized, that a very pronounced part of grain wasn't just grain, but a crack in the wood itself. I contacted Maksim, he straight away told me to send the knife back to him for rehandling and offered to upgrade the handle to a better looking burned chestnut one. Since I'm very partial to octagonal handles and took a bit of a gamble buying a knife that came with a D-shaped one, I asked him if he could swap the handle shape from D to octagonal... Which he did and he also sharpened the blade again, before sending it back to me. Can't argue with that, that's imho really good customer service...

Problem is, I not only vastly prefer octagonal shaped handles to anything else, I'm also below average size for a male and don't have big hands either. The handle Maksim installed is a way up on the big size for a gyuto handle in terms of volume (esp. width and height at the ferrule).

With me having bought a 240 K&S Ginsan Tanaka from the first batch that was avaliable , the Toyama has turned into a drawer queen and given how uncomfortable the handle size is for me, there is no chance I will use it as is or go through the extra expense to have it rehandled to a smaller/less bulky octagonal handle. Esp. since the Tanaka is more than adequate for my needs and me going get my hands on a 230 Robin Dalman gyuto in the near future... so selling the Toyama would not only free up space in the drawer that holds both my knifes, asian style chinaware and Sushi-tools, it will give me welcomed cash inflow to fund that Dalman gyuto...

Since I wrote a small review for that German knife board, I can provide some specs:

Steel: San-Mai, core of blue steel with iron cladding. Can't say if it #1 or #2, since the description on the JNS page simply says "blue steel"...
HRC: dunno, JNS doesn't provide a HRC value on the product page

Handle: octagonal burned chestnut wood with horn ferrule
Length: 150mm
Width: 24 at the ferrule, widens to 27 at the end of the handle
Height: 27 at the ferrule, widens to 31 at the end the handle

Heel to Tip Length: ~244mm
Blade Height at Heel: 55 mm

Width of Spine at Handle: 3,5mm
Width of Spine Above Heel: 3,1mm
Width of Spine at Middle: 2,42mm
Width of Spine 1cm from the tip: 1,23mm

Width of the blade at heel, measured 20mm above the edge: 1,52mm
Width of the blade at heel, measured 10mm above the edge: 1,05mm
Width of the blade at heel, measured 5mm above the edge: 0,66mm
Width of the blade at heel, measured right behind the bevel: <0,2mm

Weight: 218g with the D-shaped handle, after rehandling the weight went up to 228. The handle alone weights ~50g, so the weight of the actual blade is roughly 180grams.

As mentioned above, the knife have been sharpened by Maksim before sending it back to me. I found out pretty fast that the handle size isn't my thing, so it hasn't been used much on a end grain cutting board before it turned into a drawer queen. Since "not much use" is quite a relative term, let me phrase it that way: It's been only used in a home kitchen, for the prep work of no more than three dinners in a 3 person household and top of that along with other knifes.

So the actual workload the edge has been put up to is somewhere in the range of prepping a single 3-4 person dinner and the blade hasn't been put on the stones or the strop by myself either.

Price: 265€ (or 290USD for any potential EU buyer, whose country doesn't use the Euro currency). I don't mind selling to outside of the EU, but I guess the offer isn't tempting for say US or even Norwegian buyers...

Shipping: I will use DHL for shipping and will charge no extra fee for shipping to zone 1 (which is most the EU, except for some places like say the Spanish Canary Island or the UK Channel Islands). If a buyers address isn't part of zone1, I will charge the difference between the zone 1 shipping costs (13.99€) and the actual shipping costs.

Pictures are as good as they could be, given that weather isn't very sunny in Germany at the moment and I'm only using a smartphone camera to snap them.

20151103_133936.jpg

20151103_133944.jpg

20151103_134006.jpg

20150707_111141.jpg

20151103_133955.jpg

If someone misses a certain angle or detail, feel free to ask for further pictures... for example: if needed, I can snap some comparison pictures with the 240 Tanaka, a 210 Kohetsu AS Gyuto and a 270 Konosuke Kiritsuke-Gyuto...

Same for any questions about the knife itself, but keep in mind that I didn't use the knife long enough to form a solid opinion on it. So for stuff like performance with specific foods, ease of sharpening and edge retention, you're most likely better of asking other KKF members owning a 240 Toyama like limpet or wind88 for example.

As usual: Offers via PM only...

Just wanted to chime in and say that this is a very very nice knife. Definitely one of the best performers I have. Gets as much time in the rotation as my Kato knives. Toyama knives are not talked about too often here on the forum, but they should be.

Good luck with the sale!

God, I already own this knife and am considering buying this one. This knife reminds me of a tall Shige without the reactivity. Feels great in the hand and is finished at the same level as a Shige with one exception. The exception is the chill should be polished better. The edges have been knocked down, and that's about it. Substantial in hand, but thin behind the edge. A great knife for a pro.

Love Maxsim to death but that handle is plain stupid/wrong.

Love Maxsim to death but that handle is plain stupid/wrong.

Kind of true, as lovely as the handle looks, I would -even it may hurt my chances selling the knife- point out that it may be primarily suited for those folks with big hands... or those who are going to rehandle it anyway and only care about the blade itself...

20150827_141431.jpg

From left to right: 210 Kohetsu AS Gyuto, 240 Tanaka (with a slim Yanagiba-Style handle), 270 Konosuke W2 Kiritsuke and the 240 Toyama.

Is it possble to re-take the four-knife shot with the Toyama lying on the same surface as the others?

It appears that the tip of the Toyama is resting on a box and this gives the impression that its handle is super-massive compared to the other handles.

Is it possble to re-take the four-knife shot with the Toyama lying on the same surface as the others?

It appears that the tip of the Toyama is resting on a box and this gives the impression that its handle is super-massive compared to the other handles.

It's resting on the box on purpose.... Because it keeps the blade from pulling the end of handle up from the surface.

But thanks to Maksim being so kind to send me spare one along with the knife , I can take a side by side picture with the 270 Konosuke and a measure tape simply by using the spare one instead of the whole knife... :)

20151105_154408.jpg

Pretty much the same result, because the handle has 2-3mm more width and height than any other gyuto handle I've either owned or used as a loaner/during a gathering so far...

Bad news: The handle IS that massive...
Good news: Totally forgot about the spare one... anyone who buys the knife, will get the spare one too as a gift.

Come to think of it, Maxim doesn't look like that big of a guy but in my experience, having owned several from him and handled by him, he does tend to put on handles that err on the side of large.

As far as I know, they are supplied by the handle maker that also supplies Shigefusa, and others I presume, and M used to sell them on the site. They're generally the best ho or chestnut handles I think, even if people sometime dismiss them and jump at custom 'upgrades'. M gets 4 or so different sizes, I think, D or octagonal, and then chooses what's appropriate for each blade.

To me (perhaps I have bigger hands, and I do like heavier knives) the sizes he selects are good. Disagree with Pensacola above! (There are exceptions, though, and not everything works out perfectly. Those handles on those tiny Kato parings he used to sell look ridiculous, for eg.)

Having compared a few recently, a 50g handle for a 240mm gyuto with a 180g or so blade is very reasonable, even if you find the dimensions big. If you had a smaller ho handle on there, I'd guess the weight would be more like 35-50g so not a big difference.

The knife and handle look good to me. These Toyama look very close to Watanabe.

Is the knife fully insured in shipping? What payment alternatives do you have, eg. paypal, transfer to bank account.

@el pescador :seen it, right now I am at work... Going to read the PN and reply tomorrow after breakfast.

Is the knife fully insured in shipping? What payment alternatives do you have, eg. paypal, transfer to bank account.

1. According to the DHL page a parcel shipped as a "DHL Paket International" is traceable (the moment I hand over the parcel to DHL and get my tracking number, I will forward it via PM to the buyer) and insured up to a value of 500Euro/540USD... so yes, from my understanding the knife would be fully insured, for the odd chance that it "develops legs" at some point of the shipping process, gets dropped and run over by a forklift at a DHL depot, or some army or insurgents shoot down the DHL cargo plan with a SAM missile.

I will also wrap up the knife box in multiple layers of protective material and choose a big enough parcel to do so. Which means any damage to the knife itself would only happen if someone opens the parcel and then drops the knife, or if the parcel is mistreated with overly excessive force. I'm not going to simply put it a parcel that only slightly bigger than the cardboard box that the knife itself sits in, with only a thin layer of newspaper or bubble wrap around it.

2. PayPal for everyone using the "Goods and Service" option, wire payment from your bank account to mine using theSEPA Credit Transfer method, for those with a bank account from countries being either part of the EU or EFTA (like Norway or Switzerland).

Small bumb, I'm also lowering the price and throwing in that spare handle I talked about:

250 Euro / 270 Dollar, incl. shipping with most of Europe (DHL Zone 1, for more details see entry post) as a fully insured and traceable parcel.

20150731_103625.jpg

That price is not set in stone...if you think that you can make me an honest bid, feel free to shoot me a PM and I will see if I'm fine with your offer.

Ahh, forgot about this. Maybe should have gone with this instead, esp with the extra handle. Just ordered and got a 210 and impressions are very good, although it really resembles the 210 Watanabe Pro in Blue 2 I also have, though maybe a bit less hefty. Will be fun to see which I like more, and haven't tried it yet. The 240 here would have been nice rather than another 210.

Nice knife, and also great for the price. I bet these could easily go elsewhere in the $300 range, depending on the vendor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back