Quantcast
smoking..... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: smoking.....

Do you live in "whole hog" country or is that another part of the Carolinas? That pit looks like it would fit one.
    Quote Originally Posted by tgraypots View Post
    The wood is burned down to chunks and coals in the fireplace to the right of the pit, then the metal door in the front of the pit is opened and they are shoveled in there. This is kind of a traditional way of doing it here in North Carolina, especially in the piedmont. He aims for 230 F throughout the smoking, so that is considered a "hot" smoke. This time he smoked chickens and pork loins, but has done ribs and shoulders too. Hmmmmmhhhh, I think maybe I'll fire up my Brinkmann smoker this afternoon and smoke some fish :-) There's still some good, sweet corn available, and along with some vinegar-based slaw that sounds like a meal to me. Let me know if the pics don't show up.

JM, I'm originally from eastern NC, "whole hog" country, but now live pretty much smack dab in the middle, where shoulders are all that is smoked. Although my friend just smoked chickens and loins last Friday, he could easily lay a whole pig in there. Big difference (and rivalry) in bbq between here and eastern NC. When I fist moved here 21 years ago, I bitched about the pork here. I've since learned the best bbq is what's on my plate :-) Here's an old pic from Lexington BBQ . It was my son's 14th birthday, and the man running the pit invited us in there. They lay cardboard across the shoulders so no ash flies up and falls back down on them. That gives you an idea of the temperature used. As you can see, it was pretty smoky in there!
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

I agree. The quality of BBQ is not about where it is from but how well it is done. I happen to be partial to Memphis style when it comes to ribs, but I like all of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by tgraypots View Post
    JM, I'm originally from eastern NC, "whole hog" country, but now live pretty much smack dab in the middle, where shoulders are all that is smoked. Although my friend just smoked chickens and loins last Friday, he could easily lay a whole pig in there. Big difference (and rivalry) in bbq between here and eastern NC. When I fist moved here 21 years ago, I bitched about the pork here. I've since learned the best bbq is what's on my plate :-) Here's an old pic from Lexington BBQ . It was my son's 14th birthday, and the man running the pit invited us in there. They lay cardboard across the shoulders so no ash flies up and falls back down on them. That gives you an idea of the temperature used. As you can see, it was pretty smoky in there!

JM, it's hard to beat the Rendezvous for ribs, although my customers from there swear by The Commissary. My son would rather have ribs than anything else.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

Tom I am jealous, looks great. Lexington BBQ is ALWAYS packed, I have driven by it at 9pm to grab something on the way home and there were at least 20 cars in the lot. Pretty good food there.

Jared, don't forget they do have curb service. Quite a few Q joints around here still do.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

Incredible setup. I don't doubt some very fine food has come off that smoker.

Wow, now that is a pit!

Engorged Member
    Used to eat at Stameys...that's good pork.

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    Used to eat at Stameys...that's good pork.
    I drive right by there weekly and have for the past 3 years I need to actually stop in and try it.