Quantcast
smoking.....
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: smoking.....

smoking.....

A couple in my neighborhood hosted a birthday party last Friday night for a 75 year old woman in our church. I arrived just in time to help them break down the chickens. He had "the pit" incorporated into a little outbuilding in his backyard, and fires it up 3-4 times a year. He smokes with oak and hickory, low and slow. Many of my friends here have smokers of some sort, but this one is particularly sweet.

Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

Is the fire built inside the building or in an external fire pit with the smoke routed into the outbuilding? I've wanted a smokehouse for years to smoke bacon, homemade sausage and hams. Kind of a cold smoke setup you'd use in the winter so you could smoke the meat for a couple of days but at a temperature low enough to barely cook the meat.

hmmm pics aren't showing up for me.

That's odd. They showed up when I first posted. Will check in to it.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

The wood is burned down to chunks and coals in the fireplace to the right of the pit, then the metal door in the front of the pit is opened and they are shoveled in there. This is kind of a traditional way of doing it here in North Carolina, especially in the piedmont. He aims for 230 F throughout the smoking, so that is considered a "hot" smoke. This time he smoked chickens and pork loins, but has done ribs and shoulders too. Hmmmmmhhhh, I think maybe I'll fire up my Brinkmann smoker this afternoon and smoke some fish :-) There's still some good, sweet corn available, and along with some vinegar-based slaw that sounds like a meal to me. Let me know if the pics don't show up.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

Looks like BBQ to me- And some fine BBQ at that!

Oh my GOSH that is amazing. He should put a door on that wood burning area and bake in it after shoveling the coals out.

Eamon, that's a great idea! I'll pass it along to my neighbor. They always enjoy the homemade breads I bring over.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

+ Reply to Thread