3 x 8 Diamond Films

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefJimbo

Reaction score
After reading the "Confused by CNB" thread and following the links to those fingernails on the blackboard videos and that poor shun cleaver, I came across this website............www.jendeindustries.com/diamond-films........having never seen them before I was just wondering if anyone had any experience(good/bad/indifferent)and the applications they would be used for? Stropping, etc.

Thanks in advance:)......Jimbo

Your link is broken, Jimbo. It seems that what you're referring to are the 3M lapping films cut to size by this company. I tested a handful of sheets earlier this year and found them to lack any redeeming qualities for knives. They sheets were too easily marked/cut and not effective enough to warrant building a setup around them. I can imagine them being potentially useful for razors, but not in a way that would be better than what's already available. If you want a high-performing and dynamic strop, leather and compounds will put you in a far better condition than these films. I'm sure someone else will have had a positive experience with these films, but they didn't do anything for me.

I used them for a bit for polishing bevels, but don't really use them much now. Wouldn't recommend for sharpening personally.

That vendor does not sell diamond films. Precision Surfaces International or Digital-Key are the only places I know of that sell small quantities of genuine 3M films.

My experience with films mounted on float glass has been extremely positive. The 3M 125u film cuts more aggressively than an Atoma 140 but without the deep crevasses, leaving a surface prepped for a 1K stone. I now use them exclusively, having divested of diamond plates altogether. At 5 mil thickness the 125u film is indestructible.

Cheers,

Rick

Back