Hello from Auckland

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badgertooth

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've taken the plunge and joined the forum after admiring the expertise on the site and gleaning tonnes of useful info. In that spirit, I thought a good way to start would be to thank the various vendors and members who've delivered excellent service and generous advice.

I am only a home cook, but apart from the use of a knife as a tool, I collect and admire these knives as little slices of time that capture a moment of craftsmanship and occasionally a moment of artistry.* My first taste was a Keijiro Doi Aoniko yanagiba and the bug bit.* I have since added a little credibility to my collection and fueled my addiction with mostly wa-handled ryoba styled knives from makers in the more traditional idiom (Watanabe, Teruyasu, Shigeki Tanaka) and some in the more modern idiom (Kotetsu, Konosuke, Masakage). I am taking my first plunge into the custom world with Bloodroot Blades and I am mid-conversation in the design process of two paring knives.

I love free-hand sharpening. The occasional success gives the satisfaction to keep doing it and the occasional failure motivates me to keep learning. My synthetics are Choseras and my naturals are a Maruoyama shiro suita which I'm only beginning to understand the potential of now; Oohira Shiro suita which is the single most responsive stone I have ever used and lastly a little arky translucent which I really like.

I will, after this intro, hop into the sharpening station to see if I can solicit some advice to remedy an edge on an original HD Kono that is driving me up the wall.

Best wishes from a long time admirer of this community

Welcome, and congrats on the rugby if that's your sort of thing too. Glad to see a nat-stone user

Welcome, and congrats on the rugby if that's your sort of thing too. Glad to see a nat-stone user

Thanks Asteger, unfortunately I'm sulking a little as I'm from South Africa and coming 3rd is only nice in a menage-a-trois.

Welcome fellow kiwi, not many of us here!

Thanks mate, my eyes are still unpopping themselves looking at some of the kit you own or have owned.. Slow clap!! Holler if you want to do some loaners and kiwi passarounds. I live close to Tom from Artisan knives & I'm sure we could organise something.

Back