Toyama

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pescador

Engorged Member
Reaction score
Maxim- can you expand on your write up on this maker? I have both a gyuto and a suji and am very impressed with both. I'd like to know more about him.

Thanks, Pesky

I like the look of the Toyamas, definately on my list.

I wouldn't hold my breath for an answer from Maksim here, he hasn't logged in to KKF since January. Might be worth an email.

Yeah, I'd like to get some Jnats but his site says he's moving and etc.....had a good transaction on a shig kitaeji but now I'll wait and see.

Sent the link to him, but atm he is really busy. New house that requires a lot of renovations etc.

YES!!! Now you won't ask for me to sell mine anymore
:bliss:

About Toyama, I've read that there is an apprentice relationship with Watanabe going back several generations. Suppose that explains the similarities.

Nope! That was a Yanagiba lol. I still need Gyutos in 240 and 270. :muahaha:

You know it needs a good home.

Nothing wrong with being over busy running your own business! That said, I do miss reading his wise words

My impression has been that Maxim is a great guy with his gear and tools and know how, but some kinds of communication aren't so much his thing, 1-1 or via forums, even considering that this is an English language forum and the language gap. I imagine his business is doing well enough and he's more focused on other aspects of that and/or perhaps just his personal stuff and that's his preference. Fair enough, but yes the forum does lack some useful voices compared to the past.

Even with vendors, I guess interest in participating here comes and goes.

I've gotten responses to messages on his website in due course. I can understand staying off the forums too, I kinda have a love-hate relationship with spending so much time online.

Those knives look great, I think this is going to be my next purchase. Can't go wrong with anything from Maxim. I love my Itinomonns to death.

Those knives look great, I think this is going to be my next purchase. Can't go wrong with anything from Maxim. I love my Itinomonns to death.

I highly recommend them. Some of my favorite knives.

Just too few hours in a day.

Sometimes the simplest explanations make the most sense. While many miss his posts, it's good to know that he's busy for the right reasons.

Thank you so much all that you miss me :) i miss bing on forum as well :( But i do watch out on forum and Dan updates me regularly on what happening here :D
I been moving all my stuff to a new house. So i had a lot to do past year, house sale, new house, moving building new workshop New wife, Child etc etc ...
So it is simply thats why and you have to know i love being on forum and wish i have much more time to be here. But right now i just to overrun :(
My priority will still be to answer emails , fulfill orders and try constantly to get cool and new stuff

On Toyama i go to Japan this April and try to get cool video Out about Toyamas knives, he really deserves as much attention as Kato and Shig people just don't know him yet :) ;)

Can't wait to see that Toyama video. The one you made of Kiyoshi Kato was what made me start buying Kato knives. Absolutely incredible, and I hope the one on Toyama will be as good.

I've been considering a Toyama for a long time but could never quite bring myself to order. Considered the 210 gyuto but I have a few too many knives in that range...considered the 210 nakiri but not sure if it'll be my cup of tea...and considered a single bevel like the 180 mukimono but couldn't think of a practical use for it.

Still, I look at the Toyama page every once in a while and consider ordering one...just glad I cannot decide which.

The nakiri is giant just so you know. There is an image floating around somewhere of a comparison between the Toyama 210mm and some other nakiris of 180 and 165mm. It's huge.

I love my 240mm. Use it just as much as my 240mm Kato, even though they are a bit different.

I'm glad to hear that you're keeping busy in the best possible ways Maksim. I'm looking forward to the Toyama video; enjoyed the Shigefusa and Kato ones. I really like my Toyama 135 mukimono, so much so that I'm having a custom handle made for it.

There was a left handed mukimono by Toyama that I regret not buying. Whoever you are out there.....

Gotta agree with you on that one (the Mukimono) being a fellow lefty, shouldn't have waited and thought about it :(

I'm glad to hear that you're keeping busy in the best possible ways Maksim. I'm looking forward to the Toyama video; enjoyed the Shigefusa and Kato ones. I really like my Toyama 135 mukimono, so much so that I'm having a custom handle made for it.

There was a left handed mukimono by Toyama that I regret not buying. Whoever you are out there.....

Gotta agree with you on that one (the Mukimono) being a fellow lefty, shouldn't have waited and thought about it :(

Yep, no guess where that may have gone.:tease:

I love my Toyama 240mm gyuto! I wish the fit and finish would be better, but this is an easy fix. My only gripe with this knife is that it will discolour onions pretty badly, to the point where I had to bring another knife to work, just for onions.

I love my Toyama 240mm gyuto! I wish the fit and finish would be better, but this is an easy fix. My only gripe with this knife is that it will discolour onions pretty badly, to the point where I had to bring another knife to work, just for onions.

That's strange. After an hour of use out of the box, my 240mm is damn near non-reactive. Just two days ago I diced three kilos of onions without the slightest of discoloration.

Reactivity is normal for me. The finish is good, particularly because it's very easy to maintain. Scratches from sharpening/thinning? - easily polished off, not something you could say with a Kato for eg. The tip-heel Sanjo-style finish is ideal for this. Also I've noticed the spine-parallel polish lines are not too deep but deep enough that they have remained when I've used a bit of slurry to erase sharpening/thining scratches, and so easy to restore it all. Good knives in several ways.

Dispossed - Lacquer? Neither of my Toyama were lacquered

Latest posts

Back