Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyama

I've been considering a Toyama for a long time but could never quite bring myself to order. Considered the 210 gyuto but I have a few too many knives in that range...considered the 210 nakiri but not sure if it'll be my cup of tea...and considered a single bevel like the 180 mukimono but couldn't think of a practical use for it.

Still, I look at the Toyama page every once in a while and consider ordering one...just glad I cannot decide which.

The nakiri is giant just so you know. There is an image floating around somewhere of a comparison between the Toyama 210mm and some other nakiris of 180 and 165mm. It's huge.

I love my 240mm. Use it just as much as my 240mm Kato, even though they are a bit different.
    Don't drink out of ornamental ponds in Tiergarten. You will get sick.

I'm glad to hear that you're keeping busy in the best possible ways Maksim. I'm looking forward to the Toyama video; enjoyed the Shigefusa and Kato ones. I really like my Toyama 135 mukimono, so much so that I'm having a custom handle made for it.
    "A dull knife means you're a ******* loser" – Matty Matheson

There was a left handed mukimono by Toyama that I regret not buying. Whoever you are out there.....
    'Grief is a hone to a hard mind.'

Gotta agree with you on that one (the Mukimono) being a fellow lefty, shouldn't have waited and thought about it

Quote Originally Posted by tjangula View Post
    I'm glad to hear that you're keeping busy in the best possible ways Maksim. I'm looking forward to the Toyama video; enjoyed the Shigefusa and Kato ones. I really like my Toyama 135 mukimono, so much so that I'm having a custom handle made for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDispossessed View Post
    There was a left handed mukimono by Toyama that I regret not buying. Whoever you are out there.....
    Quote Originally Posted by SolidSnake03 View Post
    Gotta agree with you on that one (the Mukimono) being a fellow lefty, shouldn't have waited and thought about it
    Yep, no guess where that may have gone.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

I love my Toyama 240mm gyuto! I wish the fit and finish would be better, but this is an easy fix. My only gripe with this knife is that it will discolour onions pretty badly, to the point where I had to bring another knife to work, just for onions.

Quote Originally Posted by joyless View Post
    I love my Toyama 240mm gyuto! I wish the fit and finish would be better, but this is an easy fix. My only gripe with this knife is that it will discolour onions pretty badly, to the point where I had to bring another knife to work, just for onions.
    That's strange. After an hour of use out of the box, my 240mm is damn near non-reactive. Just two days ago I diced three kilos of onions without the slightest of discoloration.
    Don't drink out of ornamental ponds in Tiergarten. You will get sick.

Did you remove the lacquer?
    Quote Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
    That's strange. After an hour of use out of the box, my 240mm is damn near non-reactive. Just two days ago I diced three kilos of onions without the slightest of discoloration.
    'Grief is a hone to a hard mind.'

Quote Originally Posted by joyless View Post
    Reactivity is normal for me. The finish is good, particularly because it's very easy to maintain. Scratches from sharpening/thinning? - easily polished off, not something you could say with a Kato for eg. The tip-heel Sanjo-style finish is ideal for this. Also I've noticed the spine-parallel polish lines are not too deep but deep enough that they have remained when I've used a bit of slurry to erase sharpening/thining scratches, and so easy to restore it all. Good knives in several ways.

Dispossed - Lacquer? Neither of my Toyama were lacquered