Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Toyama

Quote Originally Posted by dwalker View Post
    I've been tempted by that petty myself. Now even more so after seeing your pics. Is it heavy ish like the gyuto?
    The weight is 113 grams. The blade gives a solid, stiff impression, but scaled down to this size it feels more "normal" than the gyuto (I have the 240 Toyama Gyuto). All my other pettys to compare with are smaller and lighter than this. I would say the Toyama is more blade heavy than my other pettys, with the balance point approx 15 mm in front of the heel. Maybe this is because of the rather small handle. The handle I got was d-shaped, not octagonal, and rather small in circumference (21 mm tall and 16 mm wide at the ferrule), giving it a bit of a suji feel. But I like it. Don't want to have big handles on pettys, because I like to use them on the board and it gives more clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by limpet View Post
    Took some not-very-good-pictures-but-anyways of my Toyama Damascus Petty 180.

It's beside my Tanaka gyuto since they look pretty similar with the damascus pattern. The Toyama is more polished though.

I really like this petty, it feels very "mini-gyuto-ish" in its proportions, 35 mm tall.

CORRECTION: My Toyama Damascus Petty 180 is 38 mm tall at the heel. (Spec is 35 mm at JNS)

Confession: I was kinda eh about mine until last two days when I've been prepping potatoes, root veg. That was fun.

I am definitely going to be a Toyama collector for the rest of my life. I hope he gains the prestige he deserves. The 210mm Nakiri I own is phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by cenc View Post
    I am definitely going to be a Toyama collector for the rest of my life. I hope he gains the prestige he deserves. The 210mm Nakiri I own is phenomenal.
    +1. Picked that up recently from JNS as my first Toyama. It won't be my last...

Just put in an order for a 240 Toyama kasumi, along with a 240 Munetoshi gyuto and the munetoshi butcher. Looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about! Looking for something heavier and couldn't resist

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    +1. Picked that up recently from JNS as my first Toyama. It won't be my last...
    And +1

I don't normally keep 2 from the same maker to try more variations, but Toyama is an exception!

Anybody here used a Toyama ktip gyuto yet?

Got my Toyama today...noticed there had been some obvious work done on the tip. It's all scuffed up and not polished like the rest of the blade. I'd post pics but I don't think I can yet. Anyone else get this?

Quote Originally Posted by trvn View Post
    Got my Toyama today...noticed there had been some obvious work done on the tip. It's all scuffed up and not polished like the rest of the blade. I'd post pics but I don't think I can yet. Anyone else get this?
    It's common. Mine is the same. If you are referring to the gyuto, that is.