Quantcast
Gout epidemic - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: Gout epidemic

  1. #21
    Senior Member Deckhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Costa Mesa California
    Posts
    1,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    Most of the new gout drugs are because of the out break in flareups. Just a quick look up, have read more in the New England Journal of Medicine.
    http://arthritis.webmd.com/news/2010...he-rise-in-u-s
    Appeared obesity and longer life expectancy were major factors in the modern increase.
    Interesting article it used to be considered rich man's disease. Current availabilty of rich foods and food in general is incredibly easy in our modern society here in the U.S. A blessing and a curse.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    1,297
    Perhaps people are peeing on their own feet more these days.

  3. #23
    Senior Member DeepCSweede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mequon, WI
    Posts
    1,243
    I have had several gout runs over the years. Feels like someone is sticking a DT petty into the ball of your foot and toe joints and wrenching it. The first time I had it, I thought either that I had turf toe or that my dog jumped on my foot or something. My dad let me know that genetically I have it on both sides of the family - DOH!!!, plus diet, plus I was a big beer drinker at the time.

    I really had to reign in my beer drinking and drop down the level of red meat I was eating (never been a big veg eater) but most importantly drinking a lot of water. Uric acid breaks down easily if purged constantly, so I really kicked in my water consumption. I haven't had a flare-up in several years but I can feel if I am starting to build up and remedy it quickly.

    I've never been one on drugs if there is a natural solution (look at the side affects) - No thanks - water is good for me.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Keith Neal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Tallahassee
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by ******* View Post
    Perhaps people are peeing on their own feet more these days.
    More people are peeing on their feet these days because they cannot see the peeing apparatus or their feet.

    The people I have known who had gout were mostly obese.
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

  5. #25
    Senior Member 9mmbhp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    57
    Long-time gout sufferer here too, passed down over multiple generations from my father's side of the family. Our blood chemistry is such that we over-produce uric acid ("hyperuricemia") and we need chemical help to hold it in check. Cutting down on beer and whisk(e)y and avoiding high purine foods helps but daily doses of allopurinol are still required.

    Prior to be being diagnosed and beginning regular allopurinol, I had built up visibly noticeable uric acid deposits in several joints including elbows, wrists and fingers. As described above it's like having needles (crystalized uric acid actually looks like sharp pointy glass shards under a microscope) in your joints and any movement causes sharp, stabbing pain. Attacks could go on for 10-14 days. Unpleasant and at times debilitating.

    It is now close to 10 years of being on allopurinol with no further attacks but it did take close to a year to fully flush the accumulated uric acid buildup from all the affected joints.

    BTW: I'm not obese, nor are my father and uncle, we're all around 6 feet tall, 165lbs. We just have bad genes: hypertension, gout and miserably dry skin.
    Anthony

  6. #26
    Senior Member Keith Neal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Tallahassee
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmbhp View Post
    Long-time gout sufferer here too, passed down over multiple generations from my father's side of the family. Our blood chemistry is such that we over-produce uric acid ("hyperuricemia") and we need chemical help to hold it in check. Cutting down on beer and whisk(e)y and avoiding high purine foods helps but daily doses of allopurinol are still required.

    Prior to be being diagnosed and beginning regular allopurinol, I had built up visibly noticeable uric acid deposits in several joints including elbows, wrists and fingers. As described above it's like having needles (crystalized uric acid actually looks like sharp pointy glass shards under a microscope) in your joints and any movement causes sharp, stabbing pain. Attacks could go on for 10-14 days. Unpleasant and at times debilitating.

    It is now close to 10 years of being on allopurinol with no further attacks but it did take close to a year to fully flush the accumulated uric acid buildup from all the affected joints.

    BTW: I'm not obese, nor are my father and uncle, we're all around 6 feet tall, 165lbs. We just have bad genes: hypertension, gout and miserably dry skin.
    My apologies, no offense intended. I was trying to interject a little humor, which was out of order.
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

  7. #27
    Senior Member DeepCSweede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mequon, WI
    Posts
    1,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Neal View Post
    My apologies, no offense intended. I was trying to interject a little humor, which was out of order.
    No offense taken here - A little humor is always in order - life is too short otherwise.

    By the way though, I actually wasn't very overweight when I had my last flare-up. By BMI standards I was, but that doesn't take into account muscle mass (such a joke of a measurement if you ask me). I was working out three-four days a week and walking 4-7 miles a day with my dog and after about a week of suffering through it, I could barely get up to get a cup of coffee.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Lucretia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Isle of Lucy
    Posts
    1,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    I love the commercials for stupid stuff like girl part pains....This little pill will treat the symptoms of your discomfort, but the side effects could be Diarrhea, nausea, upset stomach, nose bleeds, rectal leakage, poorly painted fingernails,yeast infections, multiple personality syndrome, excessive sweating, having sex with ugly people, hair loss, heart attack and possibly death.
    Best treatment in the world for girl part pains--Beer. Seriously. Even better if you can have several and a nap. And if you're a happy drunk everyone around you will benefit, too! Side effects can include a craving for pizza or hot wings.

    One of the most disgusting things about retirement is the commercials on daytime tv (which is another topic--complete and total drivel.) Your eyelashes are too short and thin! Take a pill! You've got wrinkles! Take a shot of poison to paralyze your face! If you aren't stick thin, you're ugly/lazy/stupid/unloveable! Take our pills and eat our pre-fab meals! Your kids are squalling brats because they spend all day in front of the tv and don't get any exercise! Tranquilize them! You're depressed because something bad happened--take a happy pill! If you're tired at bedtime or have bad breath and need to pee when you wake up in the morning, there may be something wrong with you--be sure to ask your doctor if you can take our drugs!

    Have to wonder how much better off we'd be if the money going towards drugs to make us look good and feel happy all the time went instead to treatment of actual illnesses...

  9. #29
    Senior Member 9mmbhp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Neal View Post
    My apologies, no offense intended. I was trying to interject a little humor, which was out of order.
    No offense taken. Many people assume that it is strictly caused by lifestyle choices, ala it's the "rich man's disease" and the result of a decadent & indulgent lifestyle, but sometimes it just boils down to bad genetics.
    Anthony

  10. #30
    Senior Member Deckhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Costa Mesa California
    Posts
    1,736
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmbhp View Post
    No offense taken. Many people assume that it is strictly caused by lifestyle choices, ala it's the "rich man's disease" and the result of a decadent & indulgent lifestyle, but sometimes it just boils down to bad genetics.
    True true many different factors age,race, genes, weight, etc. Medicine tries to put everything in a box and a book, but there will always be some that didn't bother to read the book as well.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts