Tall knives ...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Somewhat random title, I know ...

I am still somewhat a novice with high(er) end knives.

Here's the deal. I've been using 240 Gyutos almost exclusively for a while now (mostly my Ginga). I like them. Not really a fan of 210's, don't have a 180.

However, my first J-knife was a Santoku my wife gave me (Kobayashi, Blue #2 in stainless cladding). I started playing around with it again recently after neglecting it for a long time.

I have to admit, I love the height (almost 54 mm) and the useful tip (compared to Nakiris). I wouldn't use it for all tasks, or even a lot ... but I love using it to cut veggie sticks for my son to dip in everything from hummus to guacamole and occasionally his nostrils :eek2::wink:

Anyhow, didn't find a lot of other tall Santokus out there, but was thinking about upgrading the one I have.

Any suggestions? I didn't fill out the questionnaire because that's basically the only limitation: tall Santoku (or alternative that is tall AND has a useful tip, maybe there are tall Bunkas out there). At least as tall as the one I have ...

Takeda and shibata both come to mind, I have a shibata suji and I love it, shibata recently came out with a 195 battleship bunka that looks amazing, alas I have yet to find a retailer for that particular model. I also think masakage kuijira would be a cool choice, I am planning on buying one in February when they go on sale, I dont kow the exact height but the nakiri is 60+mm so that is a good sign. If you call knifewear they could give you a better idea of blade height as it isnt listed on the site. I have also seen them take fujiwara gyutos and convert them to bunkas, might be a cool idea.

As an alternative to a santoku, you could check out a Zwilling Kramer chef knife. Super tall at the heel, thin behind the edge and has a useful tip for sure.

Takeda and shibata both come to mind, I have a shibata suji and I love it, shibata recently came out with a 195 battleship bunka that looks amazing, alas I have yet to find a retailer for that particular model. I also think masakage kuijira would be a cool choice, I am planning on buying one in February when they go on sale, I dont kow the exact height but the nakiri is 60+mm so that is a good sign. If you call knifewear they could give you a better idea of blade height as it isnt listed on the site. I have also seen them take fujiwara gyutos and convert them to bunkas, might be a cool idea.

Good idea, I was eyeing a Kuijira anyway. They just look damn sexy!

Just bought a Shibata Ko-Bunka and LOVE it!

Wakui kasumi 180mm santoku 54 mm at the heel. Never used one...

Masahiro for sure, and Misono carbon(almost sure about it), make lines of tall gyutos, at 24-27-30-33cm. Maybe 36cm as well. If you ask me, they are not tall gyutos, but large santokus. Takedas' gyuto is also very tall

+1 for the ZKramer as well. As for tjangula's question, I measured the 10" at 61 mm, and the 8" at like 59.5 (almost 60) mm.

That looks like a killer option, love that it's a 180! And the price without VAT is really, really good.

How's the steel? Never tried one of those...

The steel is very good. Like a great white or blue steel. Itinomonn knives are fantastic value. It's also clad in stain-less steel for more resistance than normal iron.

-zkramer
-takeda 210mm bunka (the big one)
-Raquin make some tall ass knives, too

an of course anything coustom! Too expensive you say? Nay, i say. I just ordered a very tall 210mm gyuto und small nakiri +saya for under 200euro! Great work. Not supertopnotch, but really good!

n6avic.jpg

Cheers
Benjamin

-zkramer
-takeda 210mm bunka (the big one)
-Raquin make some tall ass knives, too

an of course anything coustom! Too expensive you say? Nay, i say. I just ordered a very tall 210mm gyuto und small nakiri +saya for under 200euro! Great work. Not supertopnotch, but really good!

n6avic.jpg

Cheers
Benjamin

Who's that maker? 200 for both???

yep, including shipping to switzerland. Will send you a PM

Would be very interested in checking out this maker as well if it's ok.

That looks like a killer option, love that it's a 180! And the price without VAT is really, really good.

How's the steel? Never tried one of those...

V2 is very aggressive, and I find the retention to be excellent, on par with Blue Steel.
I would email Maksim first. His Kasumi gyuto is listed as 55mm, but it's 49mm (also much lighter than the desctiption says)

I just picked up a Konosuke Fujiyama 190 bunka. Measures 54mm at the heel. Like a truncated 300mm gyuto. Whisper thin tip and behind the edge. Genius.

Cheers,

Rick

To be honest , I really like Shun Fuji, my 8'' fuji chef knife has 60mm heel to spine height, I really love tall knives, they are so comfortable,

and taller knives are harder to bend.

I think Fuji chef knife is the tallest knife in all Shun series.

I got mine for $250 during the WS sale.

I'm also getting a custom 240 Gyuto... from a certain someone in Australia [emoji12].... And I'm seriously considering asking him for 60mm. Never had a Gyuto that tall.

54mm is the current plan.... But we can go for 60, of course.

Overkill? What do you think?

I'm also getting a custom 240 Gyuto... from a certain someone in Australia [emoji12].... And I'm seriously considering asking him for 60mm. Never had a Gyuto that tall.

Do it, like takedas it will be a prep beast, plus it will feel different

To be honest , I really like Shun Fuji, my 8'' fuji chef knife has 60mm heel to spine height, I really love tall knives, they are so comfortable,

and taller knives are harder to bend.

I think Fuji chef knife is the tallest knife in all Shun series.

I got mine for $250 during the WS sale.

Yes, Shun Fuji is a nice knife. Not only is it quite tall, the profile is flatter and the shape is quite a bit different than the classic and similar Shun lines. It's somewhat similar to a Kramer Meiji, but with a symmetric handle and edge. Definitely worth consideration for $250 while it's on sale right now.

Couldn't resist asking: are you bending your other knives somehow?

I have an Ealy gyuto that is 60mm tall. I love it. Just depends on what you like.

x10 or whatever # we are on for Z Kramer's. They are exceptional blades all around and the height is perfect for anyone looking for something taller. Further, if your looking for a pretty decent production blade the Miyabi Evolution stuff at SLT is surprisingly tall as well, not Z Kramer tall but pretty tall with a nice profile. Neat knives and not bad price either, the 10' Chef's is $159 and comes stupid sharp and with rounded spine and choil + perfect fit and finish. Honestly, found it to be more knife (in terms of value and quality) than I think I've ever seen <$200 for that large of a Western Handle J-knife as well.

Anyhow, just saying it's worth checking out too, was fairly impressed since it's been a long time since I bothered to look at anything knife wise in WS or SLT (minus the Z Kramer stuff)

Back