Workhorse Yanagiba

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking for a 270mm Yanagiba for work, at the moment I'm tossing up between Masamoto KK or KS or Mizuno White#2 or Blue#2
They are priced between $244 & $316 on JCK anything else in that price range I should consider?

I prefer a bit more weight and heel height, which from the pictures on JCK would steer me towards the Mizuno, but the dimensions aren't listed.

If anyone has expierience with both id like to hear your opinions.

Thanks

I think Sakai Takayuki Blue 2 with ebony handle would fit right there, a Doi to boot.

I would look at the Gesshin Uraku 270mm mioroshi. It has a pretty yanagiba profile rather than a deba profile. It feels more like a heavy and tall yanagiba rather than a deba. It fits in with a nimble 300mm shig yanagiba very well in a heavy yanagiba role.

I had a mizuno blue and a KS 270 at the same time and the heel heights were about the same. The mizuno was a little heavier, but I definitely preferred the KS. It felt much better sharpening, took a better edge, and lasted almost as long as the Mizuno. I was a big fan of the KS, if someone offered, I'd probably swap my Shig for a 300mm KS.

Thanks Andre, I'd hoped you'd chime in.

The KS is now the front runner, does anyone have expierience with the difference between the KK & the KS is it worth the extra $70?

One of my coworkers has a KK that I side by sided with my KS pretty favorably, but she has been sharpening it for years and the original grind was long gone. She mentioned it had some unevenness new. Other than that the table and ura aren't as well finished.

The Aritsugu's at A-Frames are good yanagiba's. I have the blue 270mm that blade cut a lot of fish.

I was wondering if that would tip you. I almost bought a gyuto just because the price drop was so good.

Back