Quantcast
Konosuke HD vs Stainless
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Konosuke HD vs Stainless

Konosuke HD vs Stainless

Been thinking about getting a Konosuke for a loooooong time now... Just wondering, what are the differences between the HD and the stainless version, aside from the hardness and steel?

By semi-stainless, does it still mean that it will react to food? Will it start to rust when left moist, for let's say an hour?

Because it's semi-stainless does it mean it has better edge retention?

What else? What makes it more expensive than the stainless version?

Thanks!

Karlo

Love my Konosuke HD 240mm Wa-Sujihiki, but havn't used it long enough to comment. Still super sharp after almost 2 weeks of usage.

i have the Kono HD 240mm wa-gyuto and its awesome my most used knife now. Edge retention is hard for me to guess because I'm in a pro kitchen i use it so much, but if i were to compare it to my shun chefs knife id say it holds it edge about 80% better all around. Im in the habit of always wiping my blade right after i use but i haven't had any problems with rusting or reacting to acidic foods. Im in fl and we have tons of humidity the first week i got it i had very minor spots on the edge of rust all i did was touch it up on the finishing stone and it hasn't appeared since i just think the moister in the air was causing it in the saya.

i don't have the kono stainless version but i i were to compare it to my misono ux10 id say that it does take a slightly better edge and edge retention is a bit better but thats mostly because it tends to plateau about 80% and stays that way for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by jgraeff View Post
    i have the Kono HD 240mm wa-gyuto and its awesome my most used knife now. Edge retention is hard for me to guess because I'm in a pro kitchen i use it so much, but if i were to compare it to my shun chefs knife id say it holds it edge about 80% better all around. Im in the habit of always wiping my blade right after i use but i haven't had any problems with rusting or reacting to acidic foods. Im in fl and we have tons of humidity the first week i got it i had very minor spots on the edge of rust all i did was touch it up on the finishing stone and it hasn't appeared since i just think the moister in the air was causing it in the saya.

i don't have the kono stainless version but i i were to compare it to my misono ux10 id say that it does take a slightly better edge and edge retention is a bit better but thats mostly because it tends to plateau about 80% and stays that way for a long time.
    has it chipped on you at all?

Zero chipping (especially compared to my Takeda and Moritaka). And, it does stain, but not like carbon. It's more like water spots. Edge retention is good, but takes some time to achieve. Honestly, I wouldn't even consider the stainless version, as there are better values, but the carbons seem to be highly touted...

I have the 240mm, and honestly wish I went 270mm, because it seems so small being so light; plus, I think it is on the short side to begin with......
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by karloevaristo View Post
    By semi-stainless, does it still mean that it will react to food? Will it start to rust when left moist, for let's say an hour?
    Karlo
    Don't! It's that simple, even stainless will rust if left for prolonged periods in a moisture rich environment. Teach those whom might be using your tools to take care of them now and it will never be an issue.

That being said I have never had any issues with the Kono HD rusting, discoloring or any of the above. Mine has not reacted to acidic food at all, but I wipe down after use. The steel seems to be more on the stainless side than the carbon side. It takes a great edge and holds it for a substiantial amount of time. I can't compare it to the kono stainless, but if the kono stainless is anything like any other stainless, vg-10 or the tojiro dp, then the HD is well worth the money.

I did a test a while back with a KonHD, TKC and CN vs lime juice. After several hours, there was no sign of rust, only a darkening of the steel like a darker gray patina.

Have you applied your lime juice on the edge as well, and did you notice any degradation?

Good question. Nope. I can definitely tell the edge stays very keen longer than some carbon steel knives (Hiro AS, Kanemasa, Masamoto white #2) but I can't say I did anything systematic.

The HD will take a much sharper edge. It's meant to be able to replicate the sharpness that carbon can achieve but without rusting. My blade has turned greyish after months of use.

If you don't know the edge difference between a carbon and stainless steel blade, then it's tough to recommend one or the other.