Need a new line knife.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soigne_west

Reaction score
So two months ago, all my knives were stolen...

I bought a MR artifex 52100 gyuto as a cheap, leave on my station line knife. It served it's purpose.

Well I recently got promoted (kitchen supervisor) with a substantial raise, so I need some new tools.

My only gripe with the MR is the edge fails extremely fast.

Is this common with 52100? I've tried various angles, microbeveling. BURR REMOVED, IT WON'T STAY SHARP!!

Are my expectations for this knife too high? Bad heat treat? Otherwise I absolutely love the steel and it's properties. It replaced a fujiwara fhk, and a MR artifex in AEB-L. The AEB-L outperformed this knife and I nicknamed the fujiwara "superglue"

I would like to find something $150 or less.

US

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Western

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No... but not iron clad.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$175

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Professional

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Hot line, veg, herbs, meat

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Fujiwara FKH
MR 210 52100

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push/chop

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Holds its f'in edge.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Poly

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
No

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Having not specifically seen the MR 52100 I can't be certain, but he/they are historically predictable with having bad heat treatment in house lines. His knives exist primarily on the name of their steel and not on what is done to make that steel a good knife. 52100, similarly to AEB-L, performs either poorly or unpredictably with half-hearted treatment. I would not blame you for it's shortcomings.

Del Ealy's line knife is awesome. It will probably be near your budget if you buy one used. Great heat treatment. The heel is a bit short for my taste, but everything else is great. Mine is O1 steel.

Actually, back in 2011 when Mark put out his first knife, the Addict, Dave accidentally collaborated on one that I sent to him so he could see what it was about, and show it at the ECG. It was a pretty horrible knife, and it took Dave considerable time on the belt grinder to thin it enough to make it perform well. It's now like a Watanabe laser, if that makes any sense.

P1010016-1.jpg

Everything on that site has 5 star reviews. And their paid youtube reviewers love every knife. It's the perfect place where less than perfect reviews are deleted.

Actually, back in 2011 when Mark put out his first knife, the Addict, Dave accidentally collaborated on one that I sent to him so he could see what it was about, and show it at the ECG. It was a pretty horrible knife, and it took Dave considerable time on the belt grinder to thin it enough to make it perform well. It's now like a Watanabe laser, if that makes any sense. View attachment 29619

That profile righ there is exactly what I want....

Bill

I'm referring to the mostly flat belly and a mostly flat run on the tip. Is that the same on a Watanabe?

It's very similar. But Kinichi actually knows how to heat treat. And he does it extremely well. If you're interested in that style of profile for a bit less money, but damn near as well done as Watanabe, I'd check out Toyama Noborikoi's line over on Maxim's site, Japanese Natural Stones.

Lol, sorry about them.... they get distracted easily. If you can swing a few more bucks this http://www.knivesandstones.com/syou...-aogami-super-stainless-cladding-by-kurosaki/ is an amazing knife as are his other works. Masakage Yuki is a fun 240, really attractive pear style finish and red pakka wood ferrule. Itinomonn is also heavily recommended. You could also email jon and ask about getting a zakuri(japanese knife imports) as that seems to be an impressive line. If you can handle a real mans knife the tanaka blue 2 from James is in my opinion the best knife sub 200 on the market, its thick at the spine so it delivers powerful cuts but is thin enough at the edge for brinoise and delicate work, plus the handle is super sexy. Bob kramer essential is also a really good work knife, 150. its what I gave my mom for last xmas http://www.williamsfoodequipment.co...e-essential-collection-chef-s-knife-34981-201

tons of great knives, really difficult to narrow it down. again sorry for the mess

WFE is by far my greatest enabler, on average the best prices for anything Henckels (Zwilling, Demeyere, Staub, Miyabi) that I've been able to find. I don't think they ship outside of Canada though.

I believe I can handle a man's knife... I have a few. ;)

I'm leaning more towards misono swede, Masahiro virgin, or carbonext.

I just grabbed a hiromoto sld honesuki that I love so far... so pm or hsts cores also on the list.

I just want a performer. Workhorse, doesn't need to be particularly pretty or prestigious. Chip resistent, yo handled, low stone times.

Although I'm not particularly happy about the house made knives at the one site... doesn't mean I'm going to not ever buy purchase from him. The services he provides appeal to me more than most of the other vendors. That being said, anyone heard anything to add about Minamoto or harukaze?

Latest posts

Back