Suien VC cleaver -am I doing it wrong

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndoorOutdoorCook

Reaction score
I bought a Suien VC cleaver off BST and I like the edge and the steel and the geometry a lot (after thinning a slight bit).

The only thing I can't get over is the profile. It has more curve than I'm used to in a chinese cleaver. Mostly I like to push cut right from the middle area of a cleaver.

If you do that with the Suien, because of the curve it ends up with "accordion" food. So I end up using either the tip or the heel and avoiding the middle altogether.

What's the right way to use this thing? Or should I put in the work to reprofile it?

I would just reprofile it the way you like it.

I use a push/roll with mine just because of accordians. It's a very slight motion and has become unnoticeable. Most other cleavers I've used (CCK and knockoffs) are slightly taller at the tip and require a similar motion.

I was using CCK for a year with no problems.

My problem is more with the heel coming up than the tip. If i use the tip, it is probably a pull cut or straight up and down chopping. It is push cuts starting from the middle that are bothering me because the heel isn't flat. Rolling the front is normal, that's what I'd do on a gently curved gyuto. Rolling the heel after a push cut is new to me and like all new techniques, right now is very awkward and slow.

I have a lot of prep for thanksgiving so I'll play around with it before I decide.

Why use a Chinese knife like a Japanese blade? Most flat edge Chinese cleavers are for thin slicing but that isn't how the average everyday knife is use there. Most have some rocker to the edge for their own style of cutting.

I had this issue and re-profiled the knife with my atoma 140, finished with wet/dry sandpaper. I really don't like having to add extra movement to my push cuts so I'm happy I did it.

Rather than investing a bunch of work changing the knife to suit you, I'll suggest that you sell it and pick up something more to your liking. Reprofiling will kill the resale value and you may not ever get it "just right". Just a thot.

I had this issue and re-profiled the knife with my atoma 140, finished with wet/dry sandpaper. I really don't like having to add extra movement to my push cuts so I'm happy I did it.

How long did it take on diamond plate?

Rather than investing a bunch of work changing the knife to suit you, I'll suggest that you sell it and pick up something more to your liking. Reprofiling will kill the resale value and you may not ever get it "just right". Just a thot.

I'm willing to take that risk. I got a good price on this and knew going in it might need some work. Also I really hate packing and shipping.

I'm willing to take that risk. I got a good price on this and knew going in it might need some work. Also I really hate packing and shipping.

Please keep us posted about how it goes. I bought the exact same cleaver about a month ago. I'm enjoying it so far, but I have found I sometimes have to make some changes in technique (though I don't feel those adjustments are a major issue for me). Still, I might be interested in reducing the curve a bit so I can reduce the technique changes.

How long did it take on diamond plate?

Mine was stainless so even more a pita. I was confident about using my atoma cause it was not extremely high HRC steel. You have to be gentle and precise. I'm not sure about using an atoma on harder steels though.

Took me a handful of hours, I didn't did it all in once, more like half hour by half hour, when I was feeling like I had time to kill.
Be aware that it's easy to remove metal in the wrong place and ending up keeping the same profile, make sure you spend a lot more time in the middle area, don't do your usual sharpening moves.

Be mindful about that, it's easy to fall in your habits of sharpening and you will end up removing too much at the tip and heel. Keep an eye on the blade as you go, you can never look too often.

Over hours of prep, me and the cleaver have bonded. I've gotten used to the shape. I'm not going to change it.

Back