What new knife are you excited to use for Thanksgiving?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ouchmyfinger

Reaction score
I'm totally bringing my garasuki in hopes I get to carve a turkey with it. So far it's only seen action on chicken, ribs, and small fish. Here's hoping I get asked to debone :laugh:
BOqi7p2l.jpg

I don't have a garisuke, but when I've deboned turkeys in the past I've used my honesuki, hankotsu and deba. I did some while raw and froze pieces individually, deba was helpful for splitting the backbone. Smaller chickens honesuki can do it all.

I wanted a suji for carving. Any recommendations?

Personally I plan to use my yanagiba or kiritsuki for carving, after using the garasuki to remove the bones from meat. I would just give the following advice, for good slicing you want to make one cut, no see sawing. To do it properly you will want enough blade length to make it through the protein in one slice, and turkey breast has a lot of girth. Therefore I would recommend to get the longest suji that you can get/afford over metal type etc.

I wanted a suji for carving. Any recommendations?

I am in love with my 300mm Toyama Noborikoi Suji..... It also has enough heel height to be used as a long gyuto. I've done hours of prep work with it. Great steel and the cladding is not very reactive. It would be my first recommendation.

Electric if you want thin breast meat slices like for a sandwich.

I prefer to cut the breasts off the carcass, then slice them on the bias. This way everyone gets a piece of skin. I will use Itinomonn wa butcher and Kochi 270mm suji for all my turkey needs.

Keithsaltydog perfectly refinished an 1890's Landers, Frary and Clark carving set. It's already out and ready to go. Thanks again Keith!

Today I learned that Canada has Thanksgiving and that it's held on the same day as our Columbus Day and that same day is also Indigenous Peoples' Day.

Today I learned that Canada has Thanksgiving and that it's held on the same day as our Columbus Day and that same day is also Indigenous Peoples' Day.

Yes we had Thanksgiving on October 12th. I deboned a whole turkey and froze individual pieces as an entire turkey is way too much for one person... been eating some turkey every week since then, including this one.

My annual trot out the Turkey slayer set. Mike Henry did the handles and he done good.

2013-11-24%2011.00.21.jpg

Dave that looks like a capable Turkey set.

Dude I'm glad you are enjoying that set you have to feed all the gals:) I use a 1890's LF&C too.

I just had a thanksgiving dinner at a friend's house, I made the mash potatoes with my Kershaw d2 leek pocket knife, because all the kitchen knives my friend has are so terrible, I missed my shun Fuji.

Glad to hear they are being used those old thin carbon blades break down a bird pretty good.

Late to the thread, but just would like to mention how absolutely fantastic my new Fujiwara FKM 270 performed.

This is my first Japanese slicer after coming off many vintage German & French ones, and am thoroughly convinced that the thinner Japanese blades are the way to a happy kitchen. :doublethumbsup:

Back