Strange Sharpening Requests

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tosho

Reaction score
Hi KKF,

In Toronto, as a professional sharpening service, we see thousands of knives coming in and out of our doors.
We sharpen A TON of Shun/Miyabi/Global knives, and an equal amount of Wusthof/Henckels.
Every once and a while though we get some pretty strange stuff dropped off for sharpening.
Here are some oddities we put to the stone last month:

• Reed cutting knives for adjusting the mouthpiece of oboes, dropped off by a Toronto Symphony Ochestra musician
  • A really poorly made Chinese "Katana" that had been in contact with a cinder-block
  • A BlackBerry smart phone! (he really should have bought a RAZR) he had dropped it and formed a sharp burr that he wanted removed.
  • Hoof scraping knives for horses from a rider
  • A Japanese Chef came in with a Kogatana for woodworking that he wanted turned into an eel knife.
We should really start a photo album, I'll try and get pictures of this stuff in the future

I was asked once to sharpen a set of Wolverine-style (I'm sure these things weren't officially licensed) claw-gloves. Beat that.

I think this could turn into a really interesting thread.

Anyone ever ask you to sharpen those cheap (literally disposable) knives with the thin stamped blades and moulders plastic handles, the type that'd cost more to sharpen (properly) than they're worth?

I think this could turn into a really interesting thread.

Anyone ever ask you to sharpen those cheap (literally disposable) knives with the thin stamped blades and moulders plastic handles, the type that'd cost more to sharpen (properly) than they're worth?

Literally every day. 10 minutes ago someone dropped off a set of "Tupperware" brand knives!

I've got a wire cheese cutter. Can you guys sharpen it for me?

Uh, so we got this in for some rust removal and sharpening... I guess its a Sujihiki?
image2.jpg

Back