Stainless project Nakiri

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charon

Reaction score
Hello everyone :)

I'm thinking of getting a cheep stainless nakiri since I have good an extra handle.
Looking on ebay I found 2-3 possible candidates:
Yamawaku / Wakui VG10
Tanaka GV10
Tanaka Ginsanko

The Yamawaku / Wakui has a narrower tang the Tanakas but it's only VG10.
The Tanakas have that really wide tang coming out of the handle, might get in the way of a pinch grip. Might need some extensive sanding drilling.
Should I try to mimic the Fujiwara finger rest? Would that be hard to do?
Also I've read somewhere that the Tanaka Ginsanko will not be produced anymore. Is this true?

Alex

Where do you find Wakui knives in VG10?

As I understood yamawaku is wakui. There are a few v2 kurouchi on eBay and I saw these vg10. They have the same burnt chestnut handle with plastic bolster

The Wakui knives are V2. The seller also sells some VG10 knives with the same handles, but the blades are not from Wakui.

Sorry for the digression!

So there different makers under the yamawaku brand? I didn't know that. :)

So there different makers under the yamawaku brand? I didn't know that. :)
No. It is not 330mate's "Yamawaku" brand either...they merely share the same stock handle.

I've used the Tanaka vg-10 nakiri and it doesn't seem like a thick tang. However his blue #2 is very thick...like almost double the thickness.

Does anyone know if the Tanaka Ginsan is clad in stainless or iron? I've seen different information about this
The ebay sell states "Nashiji finished soft iron and Japanese Ginsanko steel" while other sellers say its clad in stainless.

ginsanko will most definitely have stainless cladding. have not seen any japanese makers that uses stain-resistant core with carbon claddding.

I found a tadafusa sld nakiri on eBay. How does sld compare to ginsan?

I've read buying from Rakuten might be a gamble.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/jumi/item/810803/

This tadafusa SLD nakiri is quite cheep compared to the US prices. Should I stay away?

With that price I'd take the risk. It's easily double in the US, I think. I gave that knife to a friend who's not a knife nut and he LOVES it. I have to say that it probably had the best OOTB edge I've ever seen. SLD is awesome, I like it better then Ginsan... Have the Tadafusa SLD, and Yoshikane. Have a Tanaka Ginsan

Hey alterwisser thanks for the info. I think I'll get one and post some pictures

With that price I'd take the risk. It's easily double in the US, I think. I gave that knife to a friend who's not a knife nut and he LOVES it. I have to say that it probably had the best OOTB edge I've ever seen. SLD is awesome, I like it better then Ginsan... Have the Tadafusa SLD, and Yoshikane. Have a Tanaka Ginsan

Isn't yoshikane Skd...

I talked with a seller here in town, he specializes in woodworking tools European and Japanese and also a few Japanese knives.
He told me Tanaka would only be making western handle ginsanko knives as he doesn't want to make any customization.
I dont know if this is specifically for this seller. too bad I didnt get the last wa nakiri from Metalmaster it seems....

Right now it can't find any but I will sure look for them. Thanks. Could you please tell me a seller?

Last edited by a moderator:
Best 100 euros ever spent. This one has a nice ho wood D shaped handle with a buffalo horn ferrule.
I will wait for another knife before doing the rehandling
wLLxot8.jpg

Back