Quantcast
Interesting chat with head chef
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting chat with head chef

Interesting chat with head chef

Well I've been working at a health foods store/cafe for the past three months. I had originally wanted to work on the line but sadly someone else got it and the only other opening they had was for a dishwasher. Well against my better judgement I accepted it and started. Well I go in the second day and the sous asks me to give him a medium dice on something like 4 or 6 onions. OK no big deal (turned out there knives are **** if you haven't seen my other posts about them) Told him that I was sorry for taking so long 10-14 minutes (now last time I did half in about 25 seconds with mine so a little time difference) But anyway fast forward about a month and change and I'm prepping something can't remember what but the head pops down and starts his prep next to me and asks me a rather strange question. He wanted to know if I was looking for a job? Now I wasn't expecting that so he asked me again, and when I asked why, he told me that point blank I was to good to be doing the **** I was currently doing. Not that I disagreed with him. Then he came right out and told me that when a spot opens up on the line that it was mine for the asking. Now I look back on my time since I've started working and I've busted my ass everyday I'm there. I don't whine about pulling dish (Tired of it? Hell yes but still I do it) I also prep when we are slow in the "tank" so I'm doing double duty (not that I care, prep makes me a happy camper) On Saturdays if I work in the morning, most of the line chefs ask me (right when I get in) to give them a hand in helping prep dishes and such also I'll occasionally sharpen one of the knives the sous uses. And all of them but 1 have asked me why the hell I'm not working the line? Sorry for going on a little but it is kind of a humbling experience when people are pulling for you in such a way. What do the rest of you guys think? Sorry if it's a little miss-mashed. If there is anything that needs ironing out just ask.

That's how it works. Hard work without complaining goes a long way. I went to work at a jewelry shop doing repair work, and after a bit they gave me a small custom job to do because the other guys were busy. After the boss saw what I made I saw less repair and more custom work.
    Do good work, don't complain, and you will be successful.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Yup I hear you. I knew going in that in reality the "tank" is about the most important spot, mess up there and everything goes to hell. Out of the five people who do the same as me I would rate that I'm number 1 (no BS either) followed very close by another kid who is the same as me, get it done right and don't whine. While the others not so much.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what your point is?

If my job is as a cook, I will be the best cook in the world.. If I'm a dishwasher, I will be the best dishwasher in the world.
    If I'm a..................Master your current position, then you may be ready to move on. It won't be you who decides.

P.S. To this day I claim to be the best dishwasher in the world. The cooking thing, whatever but I will smoke anyone in the tank.

Bloom where you're planted.

You'll get your shot. Great thing about kitchens is that it's always dynamic. If you're doing the same damn thing after six months, then something's not working right.

haha no problem. I think it was one of those times when I just wanted to see what some of the other pros thought about this. Now granted it wasn't thought out. Think that what I'm trying to say is that even if you know your good (and others do as well) never be to humble to take a lower position. Think that is what I was getting at.

Not sure about that Scott Dish throw down.

How's your "sortin silverware" skills?

My next video.

+ Reply to Thread