Interesting chat with head chef

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronsgibson

Reaction score
Well I've been working at a health foods store/cafe for the past three months. I had originally wanted to work on the line but sadly someone else got it and the only other opening they had was for a dishwasher. Well against my better judgement I accepted it and started. Well I go in the second day and the sous asks me to give him a medium dice on something like 4 or 6 onions. OK no big deal (turned out there knives are **** if you haven't seen my other posts about them) Told him that I was sorry for taking so long 10-14 minutes (now last time I did half in about 25 seconds with mine so a little time difference) But anyway fast forward about a month and change and I'm prepping something can't remember what but the head pops down and starts his prep next to me and asks me a rather strange question. He wanted to know if I was looking for a job? Now I wasn't expecting that so he asked me again, and when I asked why, he told me that point blank I was to good to be doing the **** I was currently doing. Not that I disagreed with him. Then he came right out and told me that when a spot opens up on the line that it was mine for the asking. Now I look back on my time since I've started working and I've busted my ass everyday I'm there. I don't whine about pulling dish (Tired of it? Hell yes but still I do it) I also prep when we are slow in the "tank" so I'm doing double duty (not that I care, prep makes me a happy camper) On Saturdays if I work in the morning, most of the line chefs ask me (right when I get in) to give them a hand in helping prep dishes and such also I'll occasionally sharpen one of the knives the sous uses. And all of them but 1 have asked me why the hell I'm not working the line? Sorry for going on a little but it is kind of a humbling experience when people are pulling for you in such a way. What do the rest of you guys think? Sorry if it's a little miss-mashed. If there is anything that needs ironing out just ask.

That's how it works. Hard work without complaining goes a long way. I went to work at a jewelry shop doing repair work, and after a bit they gave me a small custom job to do because the other guys were busy. After the boss saw what I made I saw less repair and more custom work.
Do good work, don't complain, and you will be successful.

Yup I hear you. I knew going in that in reality the "tank" is about the most important spot, mess up there and everything goes to hell. Out of the five people who do the same as me I would rate that I'm number 1 (no BS either) followed very close by another kid who is the same as me, get it done right and don't whine. While the others not so much.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what your point is? :(

If my job is as a cook, I will be the best cook in the world.. If I'm a dishwasher, I will be the best dishwasher in the world.
If I'm a..................Master your current position, then you may be ready to move on. It won't be you who decides.

P.S. To this day I claim to be the best dishwasher in the world. The cooking thing, whatever but I will smoke anyone in the tank.

You'll get your shot. Great thing about kitchens is that it's always dynamic. If you're doing the same damn thing after six months, then something's not working right.

haha no problem. I think it was one of those times when I just wanted to see what some of the other pros thought about this. Now granted it wasn't thought out. Think that what I'm trying to say is that even if you know your good (and others do as well) never be to humble to take a lower position. Think that is what I was getting at.

How's your "sortin silverware" skills?

My next video.

Haha! This thread just got a lot more interesting.

haha yeah meant minutes, don't type well at 6-7 am :) . But that was a busy ass brunch. The guy who was supposed to be helping me kept disappearing on me every other minute so it was just basically me for 7 hours. Could have shot him at the end of the day.

Bring it!

[video=youtube;O3eVwMj5_84]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3eVwMj5_84[/video]

Holy hell Scott great time and mad skills. That's how it's done. Can't really bring it unless you either come to my place or vice verse :) They should show this to every one who does dishes.

The more i see Salty Dog's videos and replays, the more i learn about attitude and life.

I always thought there should be an episode of Iron Chef Battle: DISHES.

The chefs have to look at a pile of plates from an actual service and tell the Alton Brown what the meal was. The fullest detailed description wins.

Then they will have to do other chalenges--cleaning stuck-on pots, refurbishing a convection oven, sorting silverware, etc.

Now you have to go through and sand off all of the dings!

LOL! Well it must vary then. My Chef schooled me on it. Our hand is not supposed to touch the end the customer puts in his mouth, thus they go in handle up. Easy for me to remember after he got on to me.

-AJ

At one time it was twice through, handles down then up. Now, we teach and expect the servers to grab the ware from the baskets at the joint between handle and business end.

Not to mention they all get polished once set.

Twice through, heads up. Dish monkeys dump them from caddies into trays for the bussers to roll. Probably not perfect, but can't be a greasy spoon without a little grease on your spoon.

I know but that is how they want them, what they want is what they will get.

I know but that is how they want them, what they want is what they will get.
Ain't that always the way of it?

Sometimes my chef tells me there's only one tri-tip per cow. You can argue all day that there's two--one per sirloin primal--but there's just no convincing him. Chef's way or the highway!

You know damn well there are two rules in the kitchen. #1 Chef is always right. #2 If Chef is wrong refer to rule #1.

Back