Blenheimforge knives in UK .. ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matus

Staff member
Global Moderators
KKF Supporting Craftsman
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently came across a very interesting knives made in UK by a small company called Blenheim Forge since searching this site turned exactly zero results I though I would start a thread about them. According to their webpage they make blue #2 knives clad in either iron or iron/nickel damascus. The prices seem very reasonable, the designs interesting.

And since I am such a curios person I have decided to have a small semi-custom (profile of the knife will be mine, the rest I lave to them) knife made. The communication so far is excellent, the knife is still in design phase and will be made in early 2016.

But I would also like to use this thread to ask whether you guys know anything about them or have some experience with their knives. Or just share your opinion on their work you can see on their site.

Are those handles really long? Or really thin? Or both?

The knives look great!

I have been following them Instagram, their knives look good, it looks like 2 guys are working the shop with coal forge

I think those handles are really relatively thin, but they also make the 'neck' of the blade taller so that it matches the height of the handle (information directly from them), what may make the handle look thinner than it is.

I have exchanged a few emails (in the process of having the custom knife made) with Jon (from Blenheimforge of course :) ) I have also learned that they indeed make their handles somewhat thinner than what one would find on a japanese knives. I do not want to post too many details here as they are not registered vendor (yet ;) ) here and I do not want to over-stretch the patience of admins, but I will of course post more details once the knife will be ready.

A 'travel' knife with length about 160mm, enough height at the heel for knuckle clearance, more belly than a bunka or santoku, but with still relatively pointy tip (possibly a K-tip). The idea is a knife that can handlereasonably well wider range of tasks and is not too long. I am curios what will come out of this. The rough design is mine, the details will be up to Jon and his co-workers. Of course large part of the fun is the process itself :)

I look forward to seeing and hearing about the result.

Sounds like it might be good for salami too (thinking back to a thread of yours I read a while ago) :)

Really nice guys, and their work looks great. I don't think they've been at it all that long, but man, did they learn quickly.

Yeah, salami will be part of the job ;)

Yes I know they are not making knives for too long, but they work definitely looks like worth a try. And really nice to talk/email to.

The blades look great. The handles not to sure. Do not care for skinny handles. I am biased like Stepan's more beefy Wa's feel comfortable for my mitts. Even some Japanese wa's are a little skinny for my taste. :D

Look forward to seeing the blade when it is finished

You guys can count on some photos once the knife will be finished (beginning next year is my rough estimate) and a review once the knife will have chance to prove itself :)

These guys are of interest to me as they are in London (I too am in UK) and they make nice looking knives

Have you had chance to try a knife for feel of handle etc?

Can you share any more detail of your semi-custom?

I'm interested in a coreless damascus gyuto

Would love to hear your thoughts. Might have to pick up a Nakiri =D

It will be a little while before the knife will arrive (I guess), as also a leather sheath will be made for it (not directly from Blenheimforge guys, but they have someone close by) and that design is not yet agreed. You may count on my thoughts once it arrives and a full-blown review later on :)

Matus, that knife is stunningly beautiful. The handle goes so well with the blade.

Very nice

What length did you say it was?

That Makiri idea has found a hook. It's difficult finding tall ones, so this route may well be a good one

Woulsn't mind seeing some high res close up pics ^^

The length should be 155 mm, height at the heel 45mm. I have never heard the term 'makiri' though :)

High res close up pics will come sooner or later :)

He he - keep watching this space, it's an unusually profiled Nakiri ;)

I actually prefer the look of the (your) smaller knife, although both are very cool lookers. The patterning seems a little better balanced in my eye

Look forward to the gush report

I have a complaint... until seeing that photo I was quite happy with my collection of knives..!

Matus, did you order the top one (smaller) or both? The instagram photo seems to suggest both are for you. And can you tell us which steels they are made of?

Latest posts

Back