Glad to finally join.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLaz

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm Julian, a professional cook from the Philippines. I am fairly new to culinary and only have 6 months of experience working in a low-volume fine dining Michellin starred French restaurant in provincial France. I've come back to my country to practice and continue learning everyday. I have been reading a lot from here for almost two years and I am more than happy to finally join in. I'm very much looking forward to learning from you and sharing what I know.

My current work set consists of the following:
300mm Tsukiji Masamoto Blue #1 Kasumi Yanagiba
240mm Acros MV chef's knife
210mm Takamura Migaki R2
180mm Tsukiji Masamoto Blue#1 Kasumi Deba
Victorinox Parer

Tsukiji Masamoto #1000 Grit stone
Tsukiji Masamoto #5000 Grit stone
Stone Flattener

Welcome! How do you like your deba?
Thanks!

It is my first deba so I don't have much to compare it with. I find it very pleasing on the stones. It may be the steel or also the wide bevel. The yanagi and deba have made me curious to try wide bevel gyutos for the joy of sharpening them. I might be posting a dedicated thread for this itch soon.

I prefer the deba over the western flexible fillet knife so much. It took a while to convince my French chef that I can do fish with a deba since it looked like a butcher's cleaver to him. The deba can process any kind of fish from flat, round to special fish like monkfish. Although, 180mm feels a bit too hefty when processing fish like small sized sea bream or red mullet. For those, I think it would be a good idea to be in the market for a smaller sized deba. IDK, maybe its just me and I need more practice.

No, you need an excuse to buy another knife. Welcome aboard.

Welcome Julian. Which resto in France did you work at?

Thanks!

I worked in a very small provincial restaurant called "Moulin de la Gorce". It was a one star Michellin restaurant, 50 seats covers. 4 of us in the kitchen including the chef/owner, pastry chef, a british apprentice and myself.

Sometimes I knock my head on the wall regretting choosing this resto over Jules Verne(Eiffel tower) or apprentice at the Ducasse School(Agentuile). At the end of the day, I'm quite happy about my decision and I think the hands-on experience and general difficulty of a micro resto lost in the south central of France proved to be worthwhile.

I have a JNat itch aswell. I'm trying to get a hold on to some local natural stones which are traditionally used for Bolo, Balisong and **** fighting blades.

I have a JNat itch aswell. I'm trying to get a hold on to some local natural stones which are traditionally used for Bolo, Balisong and **** fighting blades.

In the past another Filipino posted some shots of interesting 'P-nats' :groucho: so would be great if you could find some.

I've seen nats in other countries too - coarse and medium.

Back