New steel, new knife passaround - YXR-7 210mm Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttermilk

Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving, guys! I hope everyone will be eating and drinking as much as I plan to.

As some of you know, I've been working on a new line of knives in a new steel over the past few months. The steel we're working with is YXR-7. YXR-7 is a steel from the recent Matrix HSS development from Hitachi. This steel is relatively low-alloyed with a very fine and uniform carbide distribution and fine grain size. This steel is extremely tough and wear resistant. With the right treatment, this steel produces a blade that takes a scary edge and will hold it against a surprising amount of hard use without producing micro-chips or other physical damage.

I have a 210mm gyuto that I'd love to passaround for you guys to try. The handles will be made by me and this one is spalted tamarind, blackwood, and brass. Here's how it'll work:

-Be a KKF member registered by 11/25/15 or earlier, preferably in the U.S.
-Post your interest in this thread. I'll close and finalize the list this Sunday (11/29) and ship the knife to the first on the list on Monday.
-Keep the knife for up to one week, then PM the next person in line for their address and. Please package the knife reasonable and ship it insured.
-Feel free to sharpen the knife if you're comfortable in your sharpening.
-I'd really like to hear any thoughts, good or bad, on your experience with it. This can be posted publicly or PM'd to me.

Let me know if there any questions. Have fun!

yxr7.jpg
yxr7_2.jpg

Dude, you can sign me up for sure. And halt thanksgiving to toy as well!

Yup, if Europe is on the list, I'd like to join as well (Netherlands).

I am very interested in test driving this bad boy. very psyched when i hear new steel !!! WHOOPEE

Whose making them? And I would love to give it a whirl

Just wanted to say that I find the spalted tamarind on that handle drop dead gorgeous.

Would love to be in, please sign me up. Thanks!

You and me both know I am super interested, have been since you told me about it :D I'm Canadian though so maybe I should go last

I'm following this thread with interest as I like seeing new exciting things but think I'll pass on the pass around. I'd hazard a guess as to the maker but'll keep quiet

I'm in! (It's Jordan btw, the guy that bought the Imanishi Tamago and had you ship my chinatown buyers :D )

I'm definitely in...I like trying different steels and the handle is superb. I'll even try to keep from bleeding on it too much. (I seem to be baptizing all my new knives with my blood these days :cool2:)

I'm interested, for sure. Though I have an APO shipping address, so shipping would likely take a week and a half to two weeks each way. If that's too long, I understand, but please let me know if maybe I could be at the end.

I would love to participate. What is it clad with?

You and me both know I am super interested, have been since you told me about it :D I'm Canadian though so maybe I should go last

But you are Canadian...you are by definition so nice you should go first. Not sure how to get around the tax thing though.....I've bought knives from all around the world and never paid a penny in duty, but then I guess I have to deal with Obama care....I think you guys have that one nailed.

But you are Canadian...you are by definition so nice you should go first. Not sure how to get around the tax thing though.....I've bought knives from all around the world and never paid a penny in duty, but then I guess I have to deal with Obama care....I think you guys have that one nailed.

We are supposed to get dinged on anything over $20CAD unless it's a gift in which case it's $60. Don't believe me read it for yourself:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/gifts-cadeaux-eng.html

With our dollar being so crummy it sucks buying anything. Even if you buy something for 50% off but it is insured for the full amount you'll pay on the full amount [emoji35]. You have to apply to get the difference back and need an invoice and a bunch of paperwork. I'm lucky that the CBSA offices are close so it's a lunch hour errand.

We are supposed to get dinged on anything over $20CAD unless it's a gift in which case it's $60. Don't believe me read it for yourself:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/gifts-cadeaux-eng.html

With our dollar being so crummy it sucks buying anything. Even if you buy something for 50% off but it is insured for the full amount you'll pay on the full amount [emoji35]. You have to apply to get the difference back and need an invoice and a bunch of paperwork. I'm lucky that the CBSA offices are close so it's a lunch hour errand.

Ya, I went to a conference in Ottawa and in my free time went to the library and was surprised by the tax laws....I thought ours were confiscatory....You think you would get some kind of tax break since the air freezes for 2/3 of the year...yeah, you always thought that white stuff on the ground was frozen water but up there it's frozen oxygen!!! I lived in the Midwest and thought that was cold....for those of you about to freeze I salute you. Winter finally hit here in San Diego, it sometimes gets down in the 50's at night :doublethumbsup:

I would love to try it out, I'm also in Chicago so you can put me at the very end of the pass around if you like.

If you have room, I'd like to give it a try.

Latest posts

Back