Greetings from Utah!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rattissia

Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm a little late to post here as I did another before my formal introduction.

My name is Angela and as the title suggests I live in Utah. I've just barely ordered my first "real" kitchen knife. I was recommended a site and ended up purchasing a Tanaka Ginsan (Ginsanko, G3) Nashiji Gyuto 240mm. It's due for delivery on Monday and I'm super excited to get it! Previously I was using a Cuisinart set that I got from Target. For most hack-n-wack jobs in the kitchen it seemed fine. However, I've recently got into making my own sushi and the knife set just wasn't cutting it -pun intended ;)- so I decided to look for a "sushi knife". Once that can of worms was open I found my way here.

I am a little ashamed that it's taken me this long to actually get a decent cooking knife. I've grown up with a love of blades-but that mostly stayed within katanas, daggers, and pocket knives. I did grow up (from 9-16) living in a hotel that had a restaurant in it. I remembered the knives in the kitchen there being nice and saw the chefs there honing the knives often. I, however, don't remember them using any whetstones or doing any stropping. Maybe they did and I just didn't notice. It wasn't until I started looking into buying a better knife that I didn't know that honing/steeling wasn't sharpening the edge. I thought it was one in the same from the restaurant. Maybe that was just because I was too young to pay much attention when in the kitchen.

Before coming here I had a study buddy of mine trying to insist that cutco knives were the way to go. (He is/was a rep?) I, however, had heard they were not of good quality for the asking price. I'd love to hear your opinions on this subject. I, also, have a hard time condoning serrated blades for chopping. Don't get me wrong, I love serrated blades when they're called for but it just seemed wrong to me to use them all the time. Another one of my friends suggested Bob Kramer's knives-which look beautiful but also were out of my initial price zone. I would rather step up to a $350+ blade then start there. Maybe that was a mistake and I should have just sucked it up and bought one. Oh well, there's always another day to spend my money. ;)

Cooking aside, I am a soon-to-be mathematician with a minor in physics. I graduate in less than 2 weeks! YAY!! I, also, have a wider range of hobbies than any one person should dive into. I've done everything from paper crafts, gourd carving, cake decorating, jewelry making, etc all the way up to making soap from scratch. My newest hobby (aside from adding kitchen knives) has been the production and selling of nail polish. My other hobbies include plants (not the 420 kind :p), gaming, traveling, hiking, and foreign languages.

I've already written a mini-novel (kudos to you if you've bothered to read this far) so I'll end it now. If any of you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Welcome to KKF Angela, once you get your Tanaka gyuto and see the difference in cutting performance compared to the cheaper set I'm sure you'll want to to upgrade all of your other knives as well.

No firsthand experience with cutco but I think it's the micro serrations that make them "sharp". Not sure of the price either but there are more than likely better options that aren't made in sweatshops. The Zwilling-Kramer knives are decent but some find the handles large, the profiles "unique" and the stainless Euroline Damascus can cause "drag" when cutting (sort of love or hate things). At the msrp there are other options available, but if you're interested Cutlery & More currently has a 20% off sale at the moment. I picked up the 10" 52100 carbon chefs knife, had it before and regret letting it go.

@tjan hehe, I'm sure I will! We'll see if the pocket book agrees, though. ;) I do have 2 kids that I need to keep some of the "crappy" knives for though. They're 11 and 14. My 14-year-old likes to cook so I'll sharpen the Cuisinart knives when I get my whetstones in so they work better and are less likely to slide on the food but I won't let her use my more expensive knives for a long time yet. She's not quite ready for the maintenance on a nicer knife. It's my understanding that the serrations are the actual sharp parts and the tips on them are meant to be kind of dull over time. Eh, if they work for my study buddy who the hell am I to care ;) I just don't think they'll work on nori for sushi well and that's what started all of this. :) Maybe I'll have to have my other friend let me try his Bob Kramer before I make an opinion on it. Thanks for the welcome.

@Marcelo Thanks for the welcome. I had a bad experience trying to learn to ski when I was little and it put a sour taste in my mouth about the whole thing. However, now that I am an adult I really don't have an excuse to not try it again aside from it's expensive ;)

Welcome to the world of addiction. Buy stock in Johnson and Johnson - at the rate I go through bandaids the stock should go up significantly. It's fun to chase the cool knives always looking for one that is "better".

Thanks ecchef and smurf. :)

@Ecchef are there many females on here? And haha, at erasing cutco. I didn't buy his knives and I had to smirk when he saw mine because he was trying not to look impressed hahaha. Now to get him to convert next ;)

@Smurf haha, next paycheck I'll have to look into that ;) I'm trying to behave and not have this be my next $5000 hobby. Ugh lol.

Back